Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I switch out my macs for Kooks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I switch out my macs for Kooks?

hey everyone, just wondering on what the concensus is on mac mids. I have a 232/238 112lsa cam with over .66 lift on both intake and exhaust and im wondering if it would be worht the money to switch out my mac mids for kooks? The reason i ask is that im going to be getting some prc ls6 heads from tsp in the next few weeks and the headers need to come off anyways so id have them installed while my heads are being install. However, the kooks with catted y-pipe are going to run me $1200, while the heads are going to be about the same price. I dont feel like breaking the bank, and if the kooks will only make about 10 rwhp more or so then I wouldnt switch them, but if they would make a huge difference then ill swap them. Id go pacesetters but if im going to spend $700 on headers and catted y-pipe I might as well throw the extra $500 in for the stainless headers as im in massachusetts and the weather sucks. I dont drive it during the winter but i can already see rust on my macs and dont want to have to do a header swap ever again. Any info would be appreciated! PS im running gutted cats and would be gutting the cats on the kooks catted y-pipe.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:37 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you arent going to see quite the power from a mid-length header that you are out of a full Long Tube. Stainless headers are awesome but are way to expensive for me! It might benefit one who's car sees ice salt and rain all the time though.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I think this is aquestion of flow, you should have an good amount for those heads, at least it will not hurt you any. There have been several posts about this topic, search mids vs lt's. Also If your car is garage kept, I would not worry about SS kooks ge the pacesetters and an ory if you are gutting them anyway.
Old 05-10-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we used to sell optima's where I used to work, the display rack was on a 45 degree angle, so I would assume this would be no problem.
Old 05-10-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

yea i hear ya, and my car doesnt see any snow as i dont drive it during the winter whatsoever, just I see how bad my macs are starting to colelct surface rust and I want it to be the last header install that I ever have to do. I would go with an ory but i need the cats for visual just in case (i have had 3 state troopers stop me and look for cats). Id go with the coated pacesetters and catted y-pipe for $700 but id do stainless for the extra $500 so basically ti comes down to will the kooks make that much more of a difference (say 20+rwhp) for the extra $1200 or will the macs flow well enough for the time being? Thanks for the info guys and any other opinions/suggestions would be great!
Old 05-10-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

The macs will flow well enough for the time being, they aren't as bad (flow wise) as people make them out to be, several members are making good numbers using the macs, so I'd keep them for now, if you're going to start spinnig to 7k, then they are going to cost you some power, but for normal street driving they will be fine until you get the money for the LTs
FWIW the pacesetters should do fine for a summer car, tho the stainless ones are sweet looking, IMO $1200 for headers is a little rich for my blood, when the pacesetters give you the same amount of power increase
Old 05-10-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
The macs will flow well enough for the time being, they aren't as bad (flow wise) as people make them out to be, several members are making good numbers using the macs, so I'd keep them for now, if you're going to start spinnig to 7k, then they are going to cost you some power, but for normal street driving they will be fine until you get the money for the LTs
FWIW the pacesetters should do fine for a summer car, tho the stainless ones are sweet looking, IMO $1200 for headers is a little rich for my blood, when the pacesetters give you the same amount of power increase

Yea thats what I thought, i mean ive seen plenty of guys make great power with macs and I sure dont plan on spinning my stock short block to 7k rpms lol, I want it to stay in one piece for a little while. Id go pacesetters but even the ceramic coating rusts. My buddy has hooker longtubes that are cermaic coated and he doesnt drive his in the winter either and after 2 years the coating is starting to flake. I just want to be able to have these on for the rest of the time i have my car. I am going to hold off on them though and just go with the ls6 prc heads and see what it makes. Thanks guys for the info!