Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horsepower gains with cat removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Horsepower gains with cat removal

I have searched it for ahwile but couldn't find any anwers. I have an 01 ss with a completly stock exhaust, i want to take off both cats, both resonators, and cut factory tips of(about 14-16 inches) and add a magnaflow tip. I know there wont be any gains off of the tip but i was wondering about the cats and the resonators. Im not even sure if our cars have resonators, but my 01 monte did, any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

kevin
Old 05-11-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Venom Monte SS
I have searched it for ahwile but couldn't find any anwers. I have an 01 ss with a completly stock exhaust, i want to take off both cats, both resonators, and cut factory tips of(about 14-16 inches) and add a magnaflow tip. I know there wont be any gains off of the tip but i was wondering about the cats and the resonators. Im not even sure if our cars have resonators, but my 01 monte did, any info would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance,

kevin
Don't know how much HP gain from cat removal but on my vette I could feel a differance. You do know that you will have to buy O2 sims for the rear oxygen sensors. If you don't the ck engine light will come on. I say do it. It makes it run better and sound better.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe ~10 HP if you remove the cats. Whether it makes the car sound better is a matter of opinion. Some love the sound without cats others think it sounds too raspy. A lot depends on the catback system you have as well. SLP Dual/Dual without cats sounds nice IMO. SLP Loudmouth without cats sounds very raspy IMO and gives me a headache.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was reading in a post, that instead of buying an o2 sensor, you can tune it out and prevent the check engine light to come on
Old 05-11-2006, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

No resonators just a large muffler at the back.

In theory yes you can do what you are saying and you may see some small gain but the big power lies in the headers.

Also the cost and hassle I just couldn't justify.

Remember the exhaust is a system and as should be treated as such. If you just want more noise then get a catback they're not that expensive.

If you want to make more power you'll need Long Tube Headers and a new mid pipe, either high flow cats variant or an ORY (off road Y). There's good power to be freed up from the exhaust but only if you do all of it.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey bhp300/ton,

half my family lives in england, ive been there numerous time might be going back this summer, they live in kent..........anyways just noticed that in ur signature.............the system i want are kooks long tubes,kooks y-pipe, and corsa to the back......but till then, im a lil short on cash, i just bought the car a month ago.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Cool, I'm a little way away from Kent.

Sounds like a nice setup, although if you don't plan on keeping the car long term then mild steel/coated headers are always a cheaper option and will perform the same.

TSP offer Pacesetter headers and ORY for like $500 plus you can get their Rumbler catback for like $200-220

Failing that I'd just get a single cutout and fit it before the stock muffler. It'll by-pass the muffler and make it sound mean. Plus when you upgrade you can just sell it. I beleive QTP make cutouts.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Removing the stock cats you'll lose torque and maybe gain 10 horsepower as everbody says. Removing just the stock Y pipe, you'll gain about 5 horsepower and still lose torque.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

You're going to feel a loss of low end without the cats..I hated that feeling.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LS1MONSTER
You're going to feel a loss of low end without the cats..I hated that feeling.
I don't think I lost much..didn't notice hardly any really....and the sound was better..not muffled through cats.....
Old 05-11-2006, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

I get a bit of rasp coming off the pedal at high rpms with my Pacesetter LTs, ORY, and magnaflow catback. No cats.

Sounds like a MEAN MOTHA thats for sure... and I love it.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I kinda like the rasp sound. Here is what no cats and longtubes with straightpipes sound like.http://video.ls1tech.com/video/F6BB4...58FAF60C12.htm