Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I pass smog with bad cats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 01:59 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I pass smog with bad cats?

hello,
i have a borla exhaust with my plate out. i passed smog 2 years ago no problem. since then my ses light came on and the dealer says my cats are bad or blown out.
will the sniffer catch this? i plan on disconnecting the battery to temporarily shut the ses light off then go smog it. will the sniffer readings be any different if my cats are bad?.
also, will my stock stereo by disabled if i disconnect my battery? if so do you have the code to use it again?
thanks so much.
robert
Old 05-15-2006, 02:23 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To reset the SES code, you will have to pull the PCM BATT and PCM IGN fuses from the underhood panel, not just unhook the battery. Let it sit for a few minutes, then re-install. Do a bit of a search over in the stereo section for the radio security code problem.

In california, you probably won't pass if your cats are malfunctioning. The SES code will probably come back on too.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

when they test your car if they use a sniffer in the exhaust then you will need new cats. if not and they only hook up to your computer get some O2 sims for the rear O2's or have them tuned out. From the way you stated it, it sounds like they do you a sniffer if so you could try some of that stuff that is supposed to increase the oxygen content in your exhaust. its a few dollsrs might be worth a shot
Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Yea if they use a sniffer then it doesnt matter what lights you turn off you are still SOL. Damn California emissions laws. If its like here in St. Louis and they just hook up your OBDII then get the lights to go off and you will pass with flying colors.
Old 05-15-2006, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

your fucked.... get either some new cats or a damn good tune or you fail