Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ram air box is it ok to cut out for cold air????

Old 05-16-2006, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ram air box is it ok to cut out for cold air????

I just purchased a ram air hood with ram air box to make hood funct. i already have a slp cold air set up. my question is can i cut out the box like i did for the cold air with my previous box? otherwords will it hurt the performance of my ram air if i cut it out to accomidate my cold air?
Old 05-16-2006, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone
Old 05-16-2006, 08:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt do it just for the fact ud be cleaning ur filter every other day becuase of the crap ud be picking up from underneath....if this is the free cutout cold air mod...
Old 05-16-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

I have the volant cai on my car w/ the slp ho ram air hood.. Though I didnt remove my baffles. I also have the SSRA. Which I am assuming is similar tot he slp one but yours is metal i think

Where the scoop comes up ont he volant I also did the FRA mod to it as well.. Cut out the 2 inch by like 12 inch or so slot out of the bottom of it. I didnt really think the car would breathe that well thru the baffles.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Staging Lane

Question

Originally Posted by Dentalguy
I have the volant cai on my car w/ the slp ho ram air hood.. Though I didnt remove my baffles. I also have the SSRA. Which I am assuming is similar tot he slp one but yours is metal i think

Where the scoop comes up ont he volant I also did the FRA mod to it as well.. Cut out the 2 inch by like 12 inch or so slot out of the bottom of it. I didnt really think the car would breathe that well thru the baffles.
I did the same (SSRA/VOLANT), with my 02SS. I'm going to get a tweak tune
over Memorial Day. I also put a C5 BLACKWING in the VOLANT AIRBOX and it was a tight fit and had to remove excess material from the front of the filter.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok thanks guys
Old 05-17-2006, 06:25 AM
TECH Resident

As far as cleanign the filter... omg no.. not actually doing regular maintainance!!! When Ihad a lid and SSRA w/ FRA I actual used to vacuum up occassional leaves. Nothign huge.. once a week or so Id lift it up and chk it out.

So far having the car almost a week.. no leaves,.. *its not fall* but no real visible signs of pollen or dust and junk. Filter seems ok so far, and if one side gets too dusty, with the cone filters you can turn em 90* etc if you dont want to clean em right away.

The only pain inthe *** is that I didnt get a 2nd set of filters. SO that while I clean and re-oil these I wont have a back up set to use if I want to go driving. Whereas witht he lid set up I had the K7N and a paper back up filter.

Search this Thread