Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Small K&N needed for lid install?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 02:13 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Small K&N needed for lid install?

I've got a '00 TA and I just bought a used lid for it. My car had that tube coming from the stock silencers and I thought I read somewhere that it needs to have a K&N fliter or something? Can I just plug it up for the time being or do I absolutely have to get a K&N for that tube before I drive it anywhere? Where does that tube go? Thanks, also does the stock MAF just fit inside the new lid like the stocker? There isn't a place for the worm clamp on the new lid.

Jon
Old 05-25-2006, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

The clamp goes in the neck of the lid at the maf sensor. you can buy the small filter at any auto parts store. I got mine from Advanced Auto Parts. Filter is only a few bucks.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:41 PM
Launching!

Wow, for all the "horror" stories that some people have said about getting the MAF and temp sensor out of the stock places. That was EASY!

Jon
Old 05-25-2006, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

You're the lucky one then. I used a hair dryer for the MAF, and soap for the IAT sensor. No way I would have been able to do the install in 15 minutes without doing that. I just tucked the AIR tube to the side by the fuse boxes; I've had the lid on for about a month with no problems. The only real worry with not filtering the AIR tube is your cats going out sooner, but that is a moot point if you get longtubes.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I never had any problems with putting lids on my LS1s. I guess I've just been lucky. As far as the AIR crap, I finally just pulled the hoses and pump off a few weeks ago. I don't have cats anymore, so it was just added weight anyway. You can get the small filter in the ricer section at just about any parts store if you just have to have one.