Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT's and ORY installed now the car runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 11:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT's and ORY installed now the car runs like crap

So my buddy and I installed my pacesetters and ORY today and now the car runs like total crap. It cuts out and backfires if I give it anything over 1/4 pedal. It also has no power at all. What the hell went wrong?
I do have a pretty nasty exhaust leak at the I pipe for my cat-back that I need to fix but this shouldn't cause the car to run like this. I do have the customary SES light. I also removed my AIR sytem so the SES should be on anyway. I'm also running 02 sims. Help, Anyone??

Last edited by BatmobileSS; 05-29-2006 at 12:42 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:26 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive it a few more times. The car is going to have to "learn" how to compensate for the newfound stuff. Are you positive you hooked the O2 sensors and **** up correctly? New sparkplugs AFTER the headers in?
Old 05-29-2006, 12:27 AM
Tech Resident

relax, your car is just running very rich due to the header install. the stock programming can adjust to this but it takes time. the computer has to re-learn the car. just perform a couple of driving cycles:

http://www.obdii.com/drivecycle.html

after a few of these babies, the computer will refresh its memory and all will be well in a week or two.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Drive it a few more times. The car is going to have to "learn" how to compensate for the newfound stuff. Are you positive you hooked the O2 sensors and **** up correctly? New sparkplugs AFTER the headers in?
I realize the car will have to learn everything but it shouldn't be cutting out and backfiring when I give it gas. The o2's are hooked up to the the wires where the fronts came from and the rears are on sims. As far as spark plugs, They are the stock ones with 40k miles. I didn't remove them to do the install, they didn't seem to be in the way at all.
We did have a hell of a time getting the plug wires off and had to yank on them alot. Do my symptoms sound like a plug wire could be screwed?

Last edited by BatmobileSS; 05-29-2006 at 01:20 AM.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:20 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by BatmobileSS
I realize the car will have to learn everything but it shouldn't be cutting out and backfiring when I give it gas. The o2's are hooked up to the the wires where the fronts came from and the rears are on sims. As far as spark plugs, They are the stock ones with 40k miles. I didn't remove them to do the install, they didn't seem to be in the way at all.
We did have a hell of a time getting the plug wires off and had to yank on them alot. Do my symptoms sound like a plug wire could be screwed?
Sounds like you might have cracked one of the plugs. A set of ngk tr-55's gapped at .055 will do it up nicely.

My friends 02 z28 ran like DEATH after we put kooks lt's and catted y-pipe on, but after about 50 miles it ran perfect. It went on to make 320rwhp untuned, and 335rwhp tuned.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

double check the ect sensor on the drivers side head. i broke mine doing my header install and then forgot to plug it in and i had similar problems.
Old 05-29-2006, 08:41 AM
11 Second Club

Mikey, if it does start running a bit better, my TR55s are in my garage. You know I don't need them anymore. And there are only 400 miles on those plugs before I went to the utolite 104s.

But come over with it today and we'll check all the wiring over once more.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago, double check that the plug wires are on tight. My car runs pretty good now and I haven't gotten tuned yet.
Old 05-29-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally if the car runs like crap after a header install (and the stock plugs weren't removed) it's likely that one or more of the plugs has a crack in the porcelain insulator
The second most likely cause is the plug wires aren't clicked on tight or were damaged during removal
Replace the plugs first, then if there is no improvement, replace the wires
Old 05-29-2006, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya that is exactly what happen to me when installing the headers just need to replace the spark plug the cracked
Old 05-29-2006, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

The first time I did headers, the car ran like crap. Turned out to be a loose plug wire...
Old 05-29-2006, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a loose plug wire once that caused the exact symptoms you are describing.

Check those and the plugs themselves before you get too freaked out...!

Good Luck!
Taco
Old 05-29-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I've checked everything and it still runs like ****. I'm taking it to my buddy's shop tomorrow to get hooked up to a scan tool so I can see which cylinders are misfiring and get the AIR codes deleted. Should I have him just delete the rear o2's also? Is that better than running sims?

Anyway, It's probably a cracked plug since I didn't remove any to do the install. Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions.
Old 05-29-2006, 10:49 PM
That's what she said...

Yes, it's much better to have the rear O2 codes deleted. Some people still get coded for rear O2's even with the sims installed.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BatmobileSS
Well I've checked everything and it still runs like ****. I'm taking it to my buddy's shop tomorrow to get hooked up to a scan tool so I can see which cylinders are misfiring and get the AIR codes deleted. Should I have him just delete the rear o2's also? Is that better than running sims?

Anyway, It's probably a cracked plug since I didn't remove any to do the install. Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions.
You can't program out the O2 codes or AIR codes with a regular scan tool. Clearing the codes will only keep the light off for a short time as well. If you want the light to be out permanently get yourself a tune.
Old 05-30-2006, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Yes, it's much better to have the rear O2 codes deleted. Some people still get coded for rear O2's even with the sims installed.
WHY would the code come up when u are using sims...mine sure didn't. they must not have connected them properly..
Old 05-30-2006, 10:23 PM
11 Second Club

I didn't have to delete my rear O2s. The sims did the job for me. But the word is that he has 2 bad plug wires and a few bad plugs. So, new plugs (I provided those for him) and wires will be installed this weekend.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If new plugs and wires does not fix it then I know what it is.

You have burned one of the o2 harnesses on the header and shorted it out. This will blow the eng sens fuse under the hood as well. I have seen it all too many times.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LoudmouthLT1
You can't program out the O2 codes or AIR codes with a regular scan tool. Clearing the codes will only keep the light off for a short time as well. If you want the light to be out permanently get yourself a tune.
We're using HP tuners
Old 05-30-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ragingWS6
I didn't have to delete my rear O2s. The sims did the job for me. But the word is that he has 2 bad plug wires and a few bad plugs. So, new plugs (I provided those for him) and wires will be installed this weekend.
You're my HERO!