LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   Post if you have MAC MID LENGTHS and your car makes blue smoke!!! (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/523103-post-if-you-have-mac-mid-lengths-your-car-makes-blue-smoke.html)

just1news6 06-10-2006 05:32 PM

Post if you have MAC MID LENGTHS and your car makes blue smoke!!!

i have mac mids and am considering different headers after reading all the posts about people with these headers and for some odd reason them causing oil consumption :chug: either way still changing the headers or going back to stock manifolds but just wanted to see. :)

orangeapeel 06-10-2006 05:46 PM

you check your PCV? Is it only under WOT conditions?

just1news6 06-10-2006 05:50 PM

havent checked the pcv fixing to upgrade to ls6 with a catch can and Yes WOT

orangeapeel 06-10-2006 05:54 PM

You have oil in the intake? Are you cammed? Please tell us your setup. I am really curious due to a problem that I have had with this on a cam/header swap.

CKZ 06-10-2006 06:41 PM

I have Macs and NO smoking. I remember this issue was being debated years ago...I don't remember if there was ever an outcome.

Personally, I fail to see how a set of headers could cause an engine to burn oil.

Ojustracing 06-10-2006 06:56 PM

I had Mac's and a smoking problem. Nothing a new set of heads didnt fix. I too find it funny that a exhaust manifold could cause a smoking complaint. The only thing I see through my shop would be if you took you cats off. I had cars that I had taken cats off then started to have a slight smoke complaint. Because the cats covered it up.

John

orangeapeel 06-10-2006 07:02 PM

Ok. How does an exhaust manifold or header have anything to do with smoking/oil consumption. WTF :confused: It should have nothing to do with exhaust.

just1news6 06-10-2006 08:26 PM

Ckz what year is your car???

CKZ 06-10-2006 09:31 PM

I have a 98.

FWIW, I also have a cam and don't run any cats.

Your smoking issue is related to one or more of the following:

-PCV system
-Valve seals
-Rings

orangeapeel 06-10-2006 10:04 PM

You would think that it is just blow by that was causing the problem. I still have a really hard time believing that it is caused by headers.

just1news6 06-10-2006 10:20 PM

yeah ive heard piston ring flutter, pcv which i am getting a catch can for, and valve guides which i doubt, funny thing is the car still runs like a scalded dog and its just for a second its not like it does it in every gear is just a poof at WOT.

Frosty 06-11-2006 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You would think that it is just blow by that was causing the problem. I still have a really hard time believing that it is caused by headers.

Agreed. It's complete bullshit.

CKZ 06-11-2006 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by just1news6
yeah ive heard piston ring flutter, pcv which i am getting a catch can for, and valve guides which i doubt, funny thing is the car still runs like a scalded dog and its just for a second its not like it does it in every gear is just a poof at WOT.

Sounds like a PCV issue to me :)

just1news6 06-11-2006 01:44 PM

it may be i have no cats as well i guess well try it and see