Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

People with WS6 air box and FTRA/SSRA

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will the volant box fit a firehawk hood? I have a hawk & think the ram air is pretty poor. I really dont want to ftra style ram air setup, any suggestions or help would be apreciated.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not really sure of the underhood bracing on the Hawk hood. As long as the stiffening braces are the same size and in the same locations the Volant will work as the box is contoured to fit the WS6 hood around several of the underhood structures.

-Jay-
Old 08-16-2006, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BENZTECH
Will the volant box fit a firehawk hood? I have a hawk & think the ram air is pretty poor. I really dont want to ftra style ram air setup, any suggestions or help would be apreciated.
IDK if it doesnt trim it, debaffle the hood if it isnt already.

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
I have since switched to the Volant CAI with a debaffled hood and made custom ducts to force the air directly from the hood nostrils to the sealed Volant box.

-Jay-
Can you show pics of the custom ducts, even though I have BGRA w/ the Volant CAI Id still like to see it.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WILWAXU
I didn't cover my WS6 lower up. I left it open.
Sounds like a winner.

Remove the baffles and don't cover it up - then throw on a CAI cause it sure as heck won't hurt. Besides, I thought I felt a SOTP difference with just the FRA mod, and that was obviously with my air box open.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Can you show pics of the custom ducts, even though I have BGRA w/ the Volant CAI Id still like to see it.
Sorry, I didn't take any pics of the ducts before install - and now that they are installed, there is no way of getting any pics.

If you have the BGRA then these are very similar - just made of aluminum sheet metal. There is a duct for each nostril, surrounds the lip of the nostril opening that protrudes into the hood and rivet to the rectangular factory opening at the rear.

I actually was inspired by another member that posted some pics of ducts he was working on shown here:

Mine are very similar except they each have a flange that rivets around the factory rectangular cutout in rear. I looked for a BGRA for some time and only found one FS and the asking price was ridiculous (frankly, the original price was ridiculous for what it was IMO).

Total cost for ducts similar to above was:

Aluminum Sheet Metal - $8.75
Flat Black Paint - $3.50

$12.25!

I 1st debaffled my hood by drilling out factory rivets. Then took quite a few measurements. I then designed the ducts in 3D using SolidWorks. From this design I cut the individual pieces of the ducts from cardboard and assembled a prototype duct. Then I tried them for fitment and tweaked a couple dimensions to get them perfect. Cut the pieces from the sheet metal, welded the boxes together, painted them inside & out with flat black, and finally riveted them in place.

They fit very tightly around the nostril openings and direct/force the air to go directly to the rectangular opening without any deviation - since the Volant CAI box is sealed to the hood all around this area - it essentially rams the air directly into the filters.

I noticed a definite improvement over the FTRA, and as a benefit the car also runs cooler now, fans don't cycle as much since I removed the FTRA duct that was blocking the rad. This winter I will have the car back on the dyno to check actual number improvement.

Course, I had to have the plastic 'Y' of the Volant intake chromed and the mounting brackets for a little 'bling'.

-Jay-

Quick Reply: People with WS6 air box and FTRA/SSRA