Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you properly tap a bolthole?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you properly tap a bolthole?

I ended up stripping the hole where the rocker bolt goes. I've been told to just buy the tap for like 3 dollars and it should be okay. I've also been told to buy the 40 dollar kit that comes with helicoils and a hook looking thing. Which one should I buy?? Plan to spin the motor to 6600 rpms and wouldnt want a rocker flying anywhere. Thanks guys.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

If there are no threads left, tapping it will do nothing, you will have to heli coil it.
Old 08-16-2006, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Well I tapped it with the cheap one and the bolt goes in fine, but my friend said that at high rpms, it might pop out, because its barely hanging on.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you helicoil it ... it will hold..I would guess that your going to loose whats left of the threaded material soon if you run it like it is..shop around you should be able to do it for less than $40..
Old 08-16-2006, 04:12 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't leave it like it is. Could cause a major problem if it comes apart.

A Helicoil kit is usually around $20 at O'Reilly Auto and other places I've seen. Comes with a special tap, install tool and the thread inserts. You may also need to get a tap handle at a hardware store (around $10) or you can use vise-grips sometimes. There's instructions on the package. Its simple, just get the new hole drilled STRAIGHT. Cut the new threads with the supplied tap. Don't get any metal shavings in the motor when drilling / tapping. Screw in the thread insert with the tool, and you should be good to go.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:15 AM
Teching In

I had the same thing happen to my rocker arm bolt. I was wondering what size the threads are and if they are metric? Can anyone specifically list what size drill bit, what size tap, and what size helicoil to use? I wouls like to get this done asap. Also is there any way to do it without removing the head? I dont want metal chips in my engine but i dont want to remove the heads. I was thinking of sticking some paper down inside the hole first to vacum it later then trying to pull the paper out.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For something like a rocker, drill and heli coil, do not drill off center. Since there is great heat and pressure being extracted on the threads I wouldnt trust a tap. I screwed up some threads on my exhaust bolt hole and tapped it. I dont like it but I dont want to pull the head, so I will monitor it.

The right way to do it is pull the head and have a shop fit is since it will be straight and true, if you want to cheapo it, tap it, if you want a happy medium you could drill it yourself, thats a crap shoot.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bring it to a shop, and tell them to heli-coil it. If you've never done it before, this is the best thing to do.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, if its (barely holding on) its gonna just destroy itself the first time you take it to rpms. Tightened rockers come loose with good threads. I would try a helicoil (maybe have a buddy that knows how to do it helicoil it) or take it to a shop like the other guys say. Dropping a rocker isnt going to be a good thing for ya.