Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which sounds meaner and has more quality?
LT's, Catted -y, GMMG
46.15%
LT's, custom H, 1 Chambers going over the axel and out the back
53.85%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

GMMG vs 1 Chambers

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMMG vs 1 Chambers

I was set on going GMMG, LT's, and a catted-y until I started hearing some really good Flowmaster 1 Chamber clips. Most of the time, I still think the GMMG sounds meaner and more vigorous, but on some clips it comes across a bit raspy, even with cats. I've never heard rasp with the 1 Chambers, but sometimes they sound slightly subdued and even a bit quiet. I keep going to LS1sounds and listening to the same clips over and over trying to make up my mind.

Which has better quality of sound?
Which is louder?
Meaner at WOT?
What's the power difference?
What will have more ground clearance?
Full exhaust cost difference between LT's and Flows going out the back, versus LT's, catted-y, and GMMG?

What do you guys think?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

both of those are on the opposite ends of the sound spectrum.

gmmg will be raspy and noisy with a lot less tone. 1-chambers and an h-pipe is going to sound very old-school... I'd say a cross between a new mustang with the same setup and old big block. sex to the ears IMO.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

It really is hard to tell how an exhaust will really sound on those clips too. A guy at my school has a Firehawk with the GMMG and it is just like an old school chambered exhaust. I love it. Never heard any Flowmasters though.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sound clips really don't sound the same as it would in person. You should try to find some people close to you who have thsoe setups before you buy something soley on an exhaust sound clip.

Last edited by Iron Sights; 09-11-2006 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/559585-sound-clips-duals-w-1-chamber-flowmasters.html

These sound clips are pretty clear and completely sold me on 1 chambers with an H pipe.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:22 PM
TECH Regular

Ive got one chambers no cats mac mids and an x and believe it or not if your not on the gas hard the car is quiet but when you get down on it that thing sings, i love my one chambers. I have a friend with gmmg and i dont like it as much
Old 09-09-2006, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iron Sights
Sound clips really don't sound the same as it would in person. You should try to find some people close to you who have thsoe setups before you buy something soley on an exhaust sound clips.
Yeah, I've found 1 person with the GMMG but stock manifolds. From what the owners say, the GMMG sounds entirely different with LT's.

I know a couple with TD's, but none of them have 1 chambers.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmmm...I think I'm the perfect person to chime in on this considering I had GMMG, LT's, & highflow catted-Y and have now switched to Flowmaster 1-chambers (dumped before the axle), 3" H-pipe, and no cats (still using the same LT's).

Wow, where do I begin? Very, very different sounding set-ups. I'll be very honest with you...I liked my GMMG/single exhaust set-up, but I like my Flowmaster/true duals much, MUCH more. See my answers in bold to your questions below:

Originally Posted by Louie83
I was set on going GMMG, LT's, and a catted-y until I started hearing some really good Flowmaster 1 Chamber clips. Most of the time, I still think the GMMG sounds meaner and more vigorous, but on some clips it comes across a bit raspy, even with cats. I've never heard rasp with the 1 Chambers, but sometimes they sound slightly subdued and even a bit quiet. I keep going to LS1sounds and listening to the same clips over and over trying to make up my mind.

Which has better quality of sound?

It's hard to argue with the sound quality of the GMMG at WOT (I won't lie, it had the best tone of any "cat-back" system I've heard yet at full throttle). But on pure quality between the two, the Flowmaster/true duals set-up sounds BEEFY at any rpm. Where as the GMMG (even with cats) had kind of a funny sound to it on acceleration in the mid rpms (not rasp, but kinda a "snarl"). Even without cats, my car has absolutely NO/NADA/ZERO rasp at any rpms through the Flowmasters. Of course, pull the cats on the GMMG and it will be very raspy sounding.

Which is louder?

At idle? The Flowmaster/true duals is louder and much deeper sounding. The night I picked it up from Speed Inc after having them installed, some guy with a cammed LS1 SS thought my car had a cam in it just listening to it idle, LOL. On acceleration? Same thing. The Flowmaster/duals are louder on acceleration hands down. And at WOT? Well, the GMMG was very loud (even with cats), but yet again, the Flowmasters are friggin' LOUD when getting on it. Turns heads EVERYWHERE! Oh, and the Flowmaster/duals are definitely louder inside the car, but not by that much until you start to get above 2500rpms.

Meaner at WOT?

Both are very mean at WOT. Like I said, the GMMG is hard to beat at full throttle. However, there is still no comparison here. The Flowmaster/true duals are the meanest, sickest sound I've ever heard out of an LS1 at WOT. Period.

What's the power difference?

Well, I don't have dyno results to prove this, but I can tell you I picked up a nice amount of low-end torque with the Flowmaster/true duals over the GMMG set-up. Almost feels like I've updated the gears or something. And since I dropped the cats along with the duals, I'm positive I've at least picked up a little more power up top. The car seems to rev up quicker if that tells you anything?

What will have more ground clearance?

Since my car still is at stock-ride height, I've had zero ground clearance problems with either set-up. It was a solid 4 1/2-5" with the GMMG/catted-Y set-up and about a good 4" with the Flowmaster/true duals. Although it's really more like 3" due to the clamps used to hold up the turndowns off of the Flowmaster mufflers. However, since I still want to drop my car, I'm going to eventually ditch the turndowns to get that extra inch of clearance back.

Full exhaust cost difference between LT's and Flows going out the back, versus LT's, catted-y, and GMMG?

Let's see...My Kooks stainless steel LT's w/ catted Y was originally $1250. The GMMG was $825 (including the optional oval tips). My custom 3" H-pipe w/ the Flowmaster 1-chambers (10 series) dumped before the axle was $630 including all the labor. Keep in mind though, if you run them all the way out the back, expect to pay a lot more.

What do you guys think?
What do I think??? I'd never, ever go back to a cat-back/Y-pipe set-up again after hearing these Flowmaster/true duals! I'm not kidding when I say these 1-chambers make our cars sound NOTHING like you've ever heard out of an LS1 engine. I'll leave it at this...When I rev my car up, it sounds very similar to my neighbor's '69 383 Chevelle SS with a true dual Flowmaster set-up...And I don't eve have a cam yet
Old 09-09-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Cam, one chamber flowmaster best sound in the world.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bet you can guess which way I voted........
Old 09-10-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

jimms my one chamber buddy.... im with him on this one
Old 09-10-2006, 03:33 PM
TECH Veteran

1-chambers will always get my vote
Old 09-10-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks 2000LS1Z28, that helps out a ton.

I've noticed that a lot of Stang guys prefer 40 series (2 chamber) over the 1 chambers. It seems that not very many LS1 guys run the 40 series, I think due to the size. Anyone know how they would compare in sound?
Old 09-10-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

if you run 1 chamber be sure to make them turn down because if run it out the back with tips it realy sounds like ****
Old 09-10-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Resident

no it doesnt!!!!! it sounds like 1970's
Old 09-11-2006, 08:03 AM
11 Second Club

Louie83, i see your from dayton and i have the GMMG on my 01 SS with longtubes, i have a couple of videos of some racing if you would like to see those and decide or if your ever up in columbus i'll be around. GMMG starts to get throaty around the 2300 rpm mark and really sounds great when your on it, and crusing on the freeway in 6th gear at 70 you barely hear it. It's a Fantastic Cat-Back to have and back in August i met Matt Murphy the founder of GMMG, ZL1 SuperCars and the Dick Harrel editions cars, he is very knowledgeable and a great guy. GMMG exhaust is on every speciality car that was made with the 02 Camaro's.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think I'm going to go with a couple of 40 series Flowmasters (2 chambers).

I've been doing a lot of research on Mustang sites, and a lot of those guys run the 40's. Seems like hardly any LS1 guys run 40's and I like to stand out. I've listened to a ton of clips, and 10's seem to be more old school race car while 40's are almost as loud and have a bit more tone to them.
Old 09-12-2006, 05:37 AM
11 Second Club

Had the Flowmaster on my car and was not loud at all, go with the GMMG, you will be more satisfied, What you gain with a cut-out is about the same as having a GMMG Cat-Back
Old 09-12-2006, 10:03 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Louie83
I think I'm going to go with a couple of 40 series Flowmasters (2 chambers).

I've been doing a lot of research on Mustang sites, and a lot of those guys run the 40's. Seems like hardly any LS1 guys run 40's and I like to stand out. I've listened to a ton of clips, and 10's seem to be more old school race car while 40's are almost as loud and have a bit more tone to them.
Good luck trying to fit those 40's under a 4th gen fbody without smashing the floorpans......there's a reason hardly any ls1 guys run them---they're too big.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Good luck trying to fit those 40's under a 4th gen fbody without smashing the floorpans......there's a reason hardly any ls1 guys run them---they're too big.

According to the website, the 40's measure 4" X 9.75" X 13". So I assume that the 4" height is where ground clearance issues come from?

What are the dimensions of 1 chambers?