Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to remove cats but stay quiet???

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default want to remove cats but stay quiet???

I was thinking of removing my cats, currently the car is almost completely stock. its a 2000 Z28 A4 and the only mods are ZR1's and it had a flowmaster 3" catback on it but the muffler was replaced with a 3" in dual 2.5" out SLP muffler b/c i was looking for the quietest exhaust possible.

my last car had the cats removed and i was thinking of doing it to this car b/c of the rotten egg smell i get sometimes from them.

i want the car to be as quiet as possible, will it get louder without the cats, can i put a bullet inline to quiet it, what will happen to my mpg's without cats???

anyone???
Old 09-10-2006, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The cats will make it louder and the exhaust smell will be strong. You will smell like exhaust every time after you drive your car. (air freshners and even fabrizee dosent help) Maybe just try to get your cats replaced for some better ones.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:31 AM
TECH Addict

Im running no cats and the factory catback, sounds great- Ive had too many complements. Its not loud at all, but you will have some gas smell as said earlier but it doesnt bother me. Its very slight and only noticeable at idle with the windows down.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you don't mind the Eau de Exhuast cologne you should be fine doing what Bo is doing.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No cats here and the smell is there...but I definitely don't smell like it after driving the car. It is very slight.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
If you don't mind the Eau de Exhuast cologne you should be fine doing what Bo is doing.

thats great
Old 09-10-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Long Beach
The cats will make it louder and the exhaust smell will be strong. You will smell like exhaust every time after you drive your car. (air freshners and even fabrizee dosent help) Maybe just try to get your cats replaced for some better ones.
that is SILLY----I do not smell and neither does my car----if there is a strong smell--YOUR CAR IS NOT RUNNING PROPERLY...

Last edited by NHRAMAN; 09-11-2006 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Of course the car is not running properly without a tune. The reason my car smells like exhaust is because it it running verry rich. They come from the factory running rich to begin with so lt will only make it worse. If yours dosent smell then good for you, i can only testify to my first hand experience with my own car.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Long Beach
Of course the car is not running properly without a tune. The reason my car smells like exhaust is because it it running verry rich. They come from the factory running rich to begin with so lt will only make it worse. If yours dosent smell then good for you, i can only testify to my first hand experience with my own car.
yeah it should run rich but unless you have an exhaust leak it should be going out of the back of the car anyways so non of it should get in the car unless your stoped for a while
Old 09-11-2006, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Every once in a while I'll smell the exhaust right as I come to a stop, with the windows down, but I never smell like exhaust after driving my car. I'm running LTs, ORY, and a stock catback.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Mine sounds just like stock when the cutout is closed. I'm running the stock catback, gutted cats, and a 3" cutout.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

The rotten egg smell is sulphur (dioxide, I believe).

Saying you would smell like exhuast due to the removal of your cats is ridiculous, only partially credible if your exhaust is dumped under your car or exiting from the sides before the rear wheel.

First of all, think of why and when you are smelling your own exhaust in a properly tuned car with a properly installed exhaust. The **** exits out of the back of your car! Do you smell it when you are downwind...of course. Should your whole cabin smell like it all the time...**** no.

Second, think of the function of catalytic converters: they chemically convert some pollutants in the exhaust gases to harmless compounds. So without them, you will smell what...unburned hydrocarbons, carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides? Well, carbon monoxide is odorless, so not that one. So maybe you would smell a little gas?

My point is IF you removed your cats and IF you are CONSISTENTLY/CONSTANTLY smelling exhaust fumes while operating your vehicle, check for an exhaust leak.
Old 09-11-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will double check, i can not hear or feel any exhaust leaks. And yes i drive in allot of traffic so im sitting without moving allot so thats why the fumes are making there way into the cab. Next month i will be getting heads/cam and tune anyway so hopefully the tune will clean up some of the exhaust smell. thanks for your knowledge big daddy.

Last edited by Long Beach; 09-11-2006 at 04:56 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 09-11-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey LB, I don't have much knowledge, I just ranted.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well go ahead, i have no problem listining to someone give an intelligent explination and back it up, than someone who just says "get tunned/ get your car fixed"