Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slp center exit exhaust cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slp center exit exhaust cleaning

I have an 02 SS with SLP center exit exhaust. What polish or cleaning solution to use on exhaust tips? I have tried mother's polish on exhaust tips but no matter how hard I try the exhaust residue does not polish out and tips seem to be very dull. Any help with this would be great.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:45 PM
Launching!

I think that the center mounted exhaust tips are made of a dull gray color cast aluminum. It was cast to be a dull gray color will not shine like chrome for stainless steel.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Only the lip of the exhaust tips are polished. They're not sealed with anything, so they turn black real fast from the exhaust. Try some polishing compound or polishing rouge with a dremel, that should bring the shine back. Then get some high temp. clear (I think VHT makes some or POR 15) and seal the freshly polished surface. This should help keep the carbon from sticking next time around.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:23 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can use brake cleaner followed by Emery cloth to polish it out. Then a compound like mothers will work well on top of that.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
You can use brake cleaner followed by Emery cloth to polish it out. Then a compound like mothers will work well on top of that.
Yep, I use wenol (spelling) that stuff is awesome..
Old 09-11-2006, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Try some Simichrome polish on it, you can pick it up at most any Harley-Davidson shop. A 1.76 oz tube is about $6 (a little goes a long way). I've used it for years.

It will polish just about any non-painted surface.

Info:
http://www.emall4antiques.com/simichromeabout.htm

"Any uncoated, non-ferrous metal surface – brass, gold, silver, aluminum, magnesium, pewter, chrome, sterling, copper, stainless steel – can be brought to a brilliant shine using Simichrome! A German import known worldwide, its finely mixed chemical formula produces a rich brilliant shine, even on Plexiglass.

After polishing, Simichrome leaves a thin protective coating to help prevent tarnishing. Metalworking, plastics and other industries have discovered that Simichrome is the perfect product to polish tool and die molds, extrusion dies—anywhere an ultra fine final polishing is required.

Simichrome can be used to polish out small spots of the most difficult tarnish on the finest sterling silver. It is also popular with antique & classic car enthusiasts, motorcycle owners, golfers, gunsmiths, antiques restorers and hobbyists of all kinds, as well as a wide array of industrial users."

Last edited by Weezzer; 09-11-2006 at 08:53 AM.

Quick Reply: slp center exit exhaust cleaning