Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats the easiest way to remove windshield washer reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default whats the easiest way to remove windshield washer reservoir?

like the title says. i never use it, might as well delete it. what all must come off in order to get it out (considering it looks like its suspended by the hood latch bracket)?
thanks in advance
Old 11-01-2006, 04:38 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

You need to remove the front bumper cover, Inner supports and like 4-5 clips that hold it. Why dont you just empty it? I think it would be a big pain in the *** just to remove a item that weighs less than 1lb empty.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i was thinking of removing mine to clean up the engine some more. and maybe get a real small tank.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by notatruews6
You need to remove the front bumper cover, Inner supports and like 4-5 clips that hold it. Why dont you just empty it? I think it would be a big pain in the *** just to remove a item that weighs less than 1lb empty.
well thats mainly why i was asking how big of a pain it would be. i know it dont weigh much, but if i could get it off pretty easy, i'd like it off. thanks
Old 11-01-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its very easy to get off after the bumper supports off(think its about four of the plastic clips), if removing the bumper support also go for it. i wouldnt waste the time just to remove that item though. i removed that my bumper support and the metal bumper thing(dont know exatly what its called) but its- im guessing 25 or so lbs (making peice to replace it out of aluminum)..
Old 11-02-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

allow me to answer this with a picture

you gotta move a lot of ****
Old 11-02-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

and look like this afterwards..

Old 11-02-2006, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey my car looked like that once. Not very hard for as bad as it looks.

I wouldn't recomend doing it just for the weight reduction.

Maybe you should remove the passenger seat if you are that worried about weight.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:57 AM
10 Second Club

i just took the top brace and another brace off to get mine out. i'll help ya do it when i make a delivery
Old 11-03-2006, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

You can do it without taking off the front bumper/support. It's not all that hard if you pull it out from the bottom. Take out the shroud that's below that's held in with the clips, unplug the feed line and the electrical plug, and remove the clips that hold it in and it should come right out. It's been awhile since I took mine out, but I think it took me about 30-45 minutes give or take. I zip-tied the feed line and plug out of sight just in case I want to put it all back on later. I took my time with it and I think it cleans up the engine bay a little more, but like gnomee said, it's not really worth much as far as weight reduction.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks a bunch guys. i really appreciate all the help. i know its not worth much weight by itself but as long as it stays there, im more apt to fill it up
Old 11-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RICEETER
like the title says. i never use it, might as well delete it. what all must come off in order to get it out (considering it looks like its suspended by the hood latch bracket)?
thanks in advance
It's easy takes about 10min. tops. Just remove the hood latch brackets and take it out from the top and then reinstall the brackets. Very easy. Had to take mine out to make room for the front mount intercooler.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Guys, I realize this is a REALLY old post. But I didn't see a straight answer for how long it took to remove the reservoir, answers ranged from remove the front clip to 10 minute don't remove anything! Well I'm here to say it was somewhere between the two for me.

I took both the small center bracket and larger bumper support off. 4 nuts, 4 bolts, 5 clips for the bumper to support then the four clips for the actual reservoir. If I had been aware of the scope, I would have had it done in 30 minutes. As it was, I was led to believe you could sneak it out and wasted time trying to shove it around in vain.

I never use the washer fluid, so this was a great little clean up for me. Hope this helps someone who wants to lose ~10lbs from the nose!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its not just the XX pounds it weights, its at the very front of the car so its a big help for drag racing. 10 pounds on the noise can change the front to rear %'s and more more a improvement, then removing much more then that in the middle or the rear of the car.

And it frees up more room for a better air duct setup to the motor.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its not just the XX pounds it weights, its at the very front of the car so its a big help for drag racing. 10 pounds on the noise can change the front to rear %'s and more more a improvement, then removing much more then that in the middle or the rear of the car.

And it frees up more room for a better air duct setup to the motor.

Quick Reply: whats the easiest way to remove windshield washer reservoir?