Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another LT header install, please help this noob

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 05:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another LT header install, please help this noob

(I have Flowtech LT's with 3" ypipe for my 2000 Camaro SS)

I just called it a night when trying to do the header install. Man its a b*tch, me and my brother only got the driver side header out. We had to take out the spark plugs. Is there an easier way to take those damn things out? Cause it took so long and had to pull them real hard to get them out. One of the rubber covers of the spark plug broke so I hope I can get that at a local autoplace or I'm assed out. When pulling on the spark plugs, the cover came out but the actually spark plug stayed in there, is that okay?

It looks like there is no room at all on the passenger side, is there anything I should take out from the passenger side before I start taking out the bolts from the stock headers? I took out the 12mm bolt to remove the dip stick but the damn thing won't come out. What else do I do to take it out besides the dip stick on the passenger side. Please help, it looks like the passenger side is going to be hell man.

SORRY IF I'M BEING A NOOB, I FEEL SO EMBARRESSED but please help this noob out. Thanks guys!
Old 11-18-2006, 05:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just loosen the bolt that hold dipstick and it just pulls up and out. I reached down as far as i could and got a firm grip using both hands and pulled it up and it will come out. Honestly the passanger side will be an easyer fit than the drivers side will be. For the drivers side you need to get the car high in the air. Not really sure what you are talking about with the spark plug thing. Good luck you can do it.
Old 11-18-2006, 11:53 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks bro, I'm gonna try again now!
Old 11-18-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Are you just trying to PULL the spark plugs out? Cause they definately screw in/out. They may be hard to break loose at first but once you break them loose they should unscrew pretty easy and just fall out once they are unscrewed all the way out. GL

Luke
Old 11-18-2006, 06:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got new plugs and waited until after i pulled the exhaust manifolds off to take them out. I took them all out from the bottom because i was down there anyway. I would recomend using anti sieze on the threads of the plugs to make them easyer to take out next time. Good luck
Old 11-18-2006, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

it would be a good idea to change the plugs and wires (especially if u broke a boot) while your doing the headers....

pick up some ngk tr55's gapped to .55
and some MSD 8.5 mm wires
Old 11-18-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by presto_z
it would be a good idea to change the plugs and wires (especially if u broke a boot) while your doing the headers....

I had to
Old 11-18-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man my dipstick didn't come out easy at all either. Worked on it for over 3hrs then it decided to slowly inch out. Just keep at it, it's not that rough, and you'll be surprised how easy the passenger side header slides in with the car decently high up in the air. Good luck dude.

-J
Old 11-18-2006, 08:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by presto_z

I have no idea what the hell is a ngk tr55's gapped to .55 and some msd 8.5 mm wires are hahaha. Gosh I'm such a noob but I am going to mechanic school next year so all that will change soon!
Old 11-18-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Hey man my dipstick didn't come out easy at all either. Worked on it for over 3hrs then it decided to slowly inch out. Just keep at it, it's not that rough, and you'll be surprised how easy the passenger side header slides in with the car decently high up in the air. Good luck dude.

-J
I finally got the dip stick out which I just yacked out. Now how did you get the coil packs which covers the shocks right? Out so I can take out the damn stock header. I haven't yet reached the problem to getting the LT's in. I sure can't wait for that, I'm no where near close to doing that. I've seen pictures of installs but things just seem different from the pictures. Hmmmmm, I may have a fellow member help me out tomorrow. If anyone is near Daly City (bay area) that can help me out either tonight or tomorrow morning that would be great. I have no car and need it fixed by tomorrow night atleast because I have work Monday and the SS is the only car I have
Old 11-18-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol i just seen you posted on my thread about the dipstick lol. I can do my plugs in 45 min taking my time but this header install isn't going as smooth. Im headed back at it 8am tomorrow morning. Hopefully we can both post on each others thread saying our cars are done! GL man
Old 11-18-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scof0elife
I have no idea what the hell is a ngk tr55's gapped to .55 and some msd 8.5 mm wires are hahaha. Gosh I'm such a noob but I am going to mechanic school next year so all that will change soon!
yes make sure to pick up NGK spark plugs. They are usually already pregapped from the factory to around .55. I got 7 that were gaped fine but 1 was off.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

I know man, I was hoping it was going to be smooth like most peoples install. But looks like we both are having a hard time. So how exactly were you able to remove the coil packs? My bro removed the ones on the drivers side but was really tough. The passenger side seems to be impossible to take out. Keep me posted on your install man, goodluck to you too brotha!
Old 11-18-2006, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CJDZ24_Z28
yes make sure to pick up NGK spark plugs. They are usually already pregapped from the factory to around .55. I got 7 that were gaped fine but 1 was off.
Dang I should have just paid someone to do it, I've already spent money on tools, new coil pack because one broke and gaskets. How much do the NGK spark plugs go for and will I be able to get them at the parts depatment at GM or chevrolet?
Old 11-18-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by scof0elife
Dang I should have just paid someone to do it, I've already spent money on tools, new coil pack because one broke and gaskets. How much do the NGK spark plugs go for and will I be able to get them at the parts depatment at GM or chevrolet?

How did you break a coil??? The NGK spark plugs are available at any autozone,pep boys, advance auto parts. They are only $2.19 a plug. If you reallly dont want to be bothered with changing plugs for a REALLY long time go with the AC delco irridiums. They cost $6.99 a plug $(56.00) a set but are guaranteed for 100,000 miles and the NGK's are good for about 20,000 miles.

I did spend a extra $20.00 on Gaskets but i could off saved that money because with my Pacesetter headers i got a decent looking set of copper gaskets. I spent $20.00 on the GM gaskets.

Well it is a pain but i don't like anyone working on my cars. Also the cheapest for a install here is $325.00. And if you think this header install was bad try working on a LT1 car. 93-97 I think if it wasnt for all the time i spent messing around and fixing things on my LT1 cars i wouldn't be as confident and know my way around a engine bay!!
Old 11-18-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

How did you break a coil??? The NGK spark plugs are available at any autozone,pep boys, advance auto parts. They are only $2.19 a plug. If you reallly dont want to be bothered with changing plugs for a REALLY long time go with the AC delco irridiums. They cost $6.99 a plug $(56.00) a set but are guaranteed for 100,000 miles and the NGK's are good for about 20,000 miles.

I did spend a extra $20.00 on Gaskets but i could off saved that money because with my Pacesetter headers i got a decent looking set of copper gaskets. I spent $20.00 on the GM gaskets.

Well it is a pain but i don't like anyone working on my cars. Also the cheapest for a install here is $325.00. And if you think this header install was bad try working on a LT1 car. 93-97 I think if it wasnt for all the time i spent messing around and fixing things on my LT1 cars i wouldn't be as confident and know my way around a engine bay!!
Wow only $2.19 a spark plug? As for the plugs, do you mean the ones that plug with the sparkplugs? If so can I just get the NGK's sparkplugs and use it with the stock plugs?

I would like to thank you for helping me out bro, thanks!
Old 11-18-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Addict

There are what the plugs look like. Yes they are cheap and well worth the money! As far as your question I don't understand? The only thing that I think that you are talking about is the plug boots that broke off when you tried remove the plugs?? Get back at me
Old 11-18-2006, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And if you think this header install was bad try working on a LT1 car. 93-97 I think if it wasnt for all the time i spent messing around and fixing things on my LT1 cars i wouldn't be as confident and know my way around a engine bay!!
DONT SAY THAT! im changing my plugs on mt Z now. my ******* god its a nightmare
Old 11-18-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Regular

There are what the plugs look like. Yes they are cheap and well worth the money! As far as your question I don't understand? The only thing that I think that you are talking about is the plug boots that broke off when you tried remove the plugs?? Get back at me
I believe it was the plug boots which is covering the sparkplugs, am I right? That damn thing cost me $29 at the GM dealership. I'm very low on cash but I sure can afford to buy 8 sparkplugs which I'll buy tomorrow at kragen or autozone. I'm just a bit confused on which plugs that need to be changed. But is it more like WANTING to chance or is it a NEED to change to complete installation? Once I get everything together and know exactly what to do, I sure wouldn't mind spending a whole day changing what I didn't get to change while doing the header swap.
Old 11-18-2006, 10:11 PM
10 Second Club

Dude, I can appreciate you wanting to work on your car your self, but it sounds like you are screwing some **** up. I am not trying to be negative, I just don't want to see your ride all hacked up. Maybe next time do more research so that you know ahead of time what you need to do. Header installs on the f-body is not an easy job, it takes finesse to get those things in and out. Take your time and look at what you are doing instead of just pulling on stuff. Trust me I do this stuff everyday of my life.