Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-18-2016, 06:05 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Electrical Guides
Print Wikipost

Tested all major spark plug wires. My results...

Old 12-29-2011, 12:13 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I probably shouldn't post and let this thread die. I didn't read most of it but saw a few comments about how a "hotter" or stronger spark won't affect anything. This is false. I had developed and tested a few pro type heads in different engines years ago which employed several spark plugs per combustion chamber. In my research there were tests done and photographed the differences in rate of combustion with higher voltage spark. Essentially the stronger the spark kernel the faster the combustion of air/fuel ignited and the quicker the flame front travels across the cylinder. This was photographed on high speed cameras in the combustion chamber. Now the results of slightly stronger spark from less resistance will make a difference but a measurable amount on a chassie dyno might be hard to show.

However, the stronger the spark the larger the gap you can run and the less chance of the spark being blown out. All these little things will add up when building an engine, and if your flame front is traveling faster this means you can burn more fuel and air, thus more power. I'll see if i can find this research paper to post up.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default what about the Taylor 10.4 wires

Any test the ohm resistance on the 10.4mm wires?
Old 01-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand why anyone thinks ultra low resistance spark plug wire is better. Leakage current is the real "issue" with spark plug wires, which requires a HIPOT tester, not an ohmmeter.

This needs to be looked at as a system. 500 ohms difference means nothing to the ignition system.

EDIT - just realized this thread is 8 years old. Yikes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tested all major spark plug wires. My results...