Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starter solenoid signal wire getting ground

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 08:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starter solenoid signal wire getting ground

wiring up my 63 chevy with 5.3 and have a question. i know i have my wiring correct from inside the truck to the starter. i have the one big power from battery and the one purple signal wire from the ignition. when i was testing some circuits last night i am getting a ground inside the truck at that purple wire and found out that the "s" terminal on the starter is grounded. it has a ground even if there is no wire attatched to that pin. is that normal for these starters to have a ground when there is no 12v present? to me its odd because normally ground and 12v together doesn't jive
Old 05-13-2020, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 597 Likes on 412 Posts

The solenoid itself is just a piece of wire wound around some iron, and has very low resistance, and the end opposite the terminal is grounded. So, depending on what you're "measuring" it with, it might very well look like it's the same as "ground".

When you put 12V on it, it draws ALOT of current, in normal operation. That's why the purple wire is so fat.

Quick Reply: starter solenoid signal wire getting ground