Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed long tube headers and new y-pipe

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed long tube headers and new y-pipe

I just got the car back, shop installed the jet long tube headers on my 00 TA and they built a y-pipe to fit the long tubes, as of now I had them weld the y-pipe into the stock catback system until the slp loudmouth comes in, for some reason whenever I am launching the car with this setup it feels like it isnt flowing out right and just stomps up, you actually can feel underneath you in the car where the y-pipe is at shaking below... could this cause damage to the engine.... seems like it is forcing out a lot of air into the stock catback and the air cant escape as much as it wants to, its a 3" header that goes into the stock catback system... thinking 2.5" on the stock catback?
Old 01-03-2007, 11:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like your Y-pipe might be banging the floor if you can feel it underneath you. You're right in that the stock catback don't flow all that well. Get a cutout for like $30 for a short term or even long term thing and you'll be set.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

yea you may need to get a good prothane motor mount or i believe thunder racing sells a exhaust hanger that stops it from banging
Old 01-03-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldnt have welded the y pipe just yet but then again I have the tsp adjustable, which i put on, drove for it for a while, then welded it when i knew how to properly fit it. Since you did have yours welded, this will solve your problem. Mufflex bump stop.

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...&vid=3&pcid=54

about 3/4 down the page. You could also be creative and make your own.

Youre catback is restricting you but not to the point of what your describing. If your worried about it, cut the over the axle pipe before it goes into the muffler and then just deal with it being loud and not having tail pipes. It'll get you use to the loudmouth lol.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:58 AM
Banned

Awesome, thank you.