Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting the stock exhaust off in one piece

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the stock exhaust off in one piece

Just wondering if anyone was able to get their stock exhaust off in one piece in the garage with a jack and some stands on an LS1 f-body. And if so how high did you have to raise the car? And do you have to drop the rear axle? Sorry for so many questions.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

i would guess the only way to do it would be to drop the rear. i cant see squeezin the intermediate pipe out w/o the rear out of the way.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

If you are talking about the stock catback, I removed it in one piece in my garage. The car is on jack stands, just like any you can get at an auto parts store, so it is about a foot off the ground. Next I dropped the rear b/c new shocks, springs, LCAs are going to be installed and I wanted to drop the gas tank for a new fuel pump. Also I had the drive shaft out and that helped free up a ton of room to move the exhaust around.

If you don't want to go through all that work, just cut it off. I did it on my 97 Z28.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Got mine off in one piece, have to drop the rearend. Had the car on jackstands on their highest notch.
Old 01-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My bud bought a 02 z28 with 4.4k on the clock, it already had a lid and Borla on it, he got the stock exhaust with it in one peice, he was told they needed to drop the rear to clear the axle hump.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Staging Lane

Darn. Maybe I'll just end up cutting it. How hard is it to drop the rear?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:36 PM
Launching!

To drop it enough to take the exhaust off i would imagine all you would need to take off are the shocks. The rear end should drop enough where you could fish it out. Worst case the lower control arms and torque arm need to come off also.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:28 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why is this a popular question lately?
Old 01-04-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Why is this a popular question lately?
id also like to know this.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:55 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

I guess everyone is cashing in for christmas for new goodies. Still doesnt explain one piece! That would be so hard to ship in one piece, or install!

wierd.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

well, im just wondering...so what if u have to cut the stock exhaust....its stock but i guess they have their reasons
Old 01-04-2007, 09:01 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

to each their own.
Old 01-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info all.

Lol. Actually I was going to keep it just in case I wanted to return it to stock. The reason I asked if you could pull it off in one piece without dropping the rear is because right now I just wanna know what it sounds like without cutting it up to pieces because I just don't have the money right now for a cat-back . And also get an idea for what it sounds like with a cut-out with the stock exhaust on there.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:35 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No exhuast at all will sound decent on the throttle, will sound like *** on decelleration
Old 01-05-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

im gona be in this situation soon. i have stock manifolds n stock Y and flowmaster catback that came w/ the car. Im goin to get LTS and ORY + e-cutout to bypass flowmaster. So are you tellin me there is no way to take my car back to stock before i sell it???? because i sure dont know how drop the rear and mess w/ shocks and all that, i figured i could just unbolt it and take it apart in sections and put back on stock manifods, Y and flowmaster when i sold it???????? someone please help me w/ what im gona have to do...
Old 01-05-2007, 11:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
No exhuast at all will sound decent on the throttle, will sound like *** on decelleration
So do you think a cutout on a stock exhaust will sound like ***? I was just looking for a cheap way to get a better and louder sound. Maybe not now if that's the case.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Addict

no it wont sound like ***, you will just have an annoying sound on decel. it will sound pretty wicked driving though. a lot of guys add headers and y pipe and just weld a cutout into the stock intermediate pipe w/o ever touching the stock muffler/tips. its definitely good for cheap and easy horsepower even if u wanted to go a lil further....just have an aftermarket muffler, like a hooker aerochamber, welded in place of the stock muffler. there ya go....$30 bucks for the cutout and $80 for the muffler. thats $110 for a new exhaust system id do them at the same time since welding will be required for both. you will save some labor im sure. then u can open it when u wanna be loud, and keep it closed for a nice cruise...but still be louder than stock. id say that beats any catback price
Old 01-06-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

im gona be in this situation soon. i have stock manifolds n stock Y and flowmaster catback that came w/ the car. Im goin to get LTS and ORY + e-cutout to bypass flowmaster. So are you tellin me there is no way to take my car back to stock before i sell it???? because i sure dont know how drop the rear and mess w/ shocks and all that, i figured i could just unbolt it and take it apart in sections and put back on stock manifods, Y and flowmaster when i sold it???????? someone please help me w/ what im gona have to do...

WOULD SOMEONE[B] PLEASE ANSWER THAT
Old 01-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Raise
no it wont sound like ***, you will just have an annoying sound on decel. it will sound pretty wicked driving though. a lot of guys add headers and y pipe and just weld a cutout into the stock intermediate pipe w/o ever touching the stock muffler/tips. its definitely good for cheap and easy horsepower even if u wanted to go a lil further....just have an aftermarket muffler, like a hooker aerochamber, welded in place of the stock muffler. there ya go....$30 bucks for the cutout and $80 for the muffler. thats $110 for a new exhaust system id do them at the same time since welding will be required for both. you will save some labor im sure. then u can open it when u wanna be loud, and keep it closed for a nice cruise...but still be louder than stock. id say that beats any catback price
Thanks a lot man. I may end up taking this route, but probably minus the muffler. Anyone know of any good electric cutouts? And what's the annoying sound on deceleration? Like a lot of rasp or something?