Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't need to drain coolant to take off intake?

Old 01-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't need to drain coolant to take off intake?

I read the LS1howto page and they didn't mention draining the coolant, but they also didn't mention not having to drain the coolant. I want to be darn sure before I pull it off. I know with the LT1 you do have to drain it and I've heard a story of someone who pulled one off some other car without draining the coolant then had to replace the engine after a gallon of coolant poured into it.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

What are you removing the intake for?

If you are just pulling the intake, then there is no need to drain the coolant. If you are going to a FAST or LS6 intake and you currently have the LS1 intake, then you will also have to swap the coolant crossover tubes. I did not drain the coolant when I did this, you will not lose much coolant, maybe a cup. The LS series of motors are sealed under the intake though, not like the previous generation of small blocks. Only way you could get coolant into the motor is if it happens to go down into the intake ports on the heads. If you are worried, stuff some rags in them.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

No you dont have to drain the coolant, There is a coolant line under the intake, On the ls6 style there is a coolant line on the front of the head that connects to the other head, the same on the back.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No need to drain the coolant - be careful you don't become a member of the "I broke the oil pressure sending unit" club.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I'm taking the intake off because I seem to have pulled a wire loose when I was bending the air pump tube out of the way last weekend. The engine doesn't start; I have fuel pressure and it's pulsing the injectors but the plugs aren't firing. Someone said it's probably the cam sensor I pulled something loose on, and someone else said they had done the same thing when they were removing the air pump. It was tight to get back there on the LT1 z28, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to get back there on the Corvette, you can't even get a mirror back there to look it's so tight. So I have to take the intake off.
Old 01-06-2007, 08:48 PM
10 Second Club

ou don't have to drain the coolant. there are two rubber lines that attach to the throttle body. when you remove those, about 4 ounces of coolant will come out.

and for the record, you don't have to swap over to the LS6 coolant lines. did a swap today. ground some of the webbing off of the bottom to clear for the LS1 coolant lines.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:43 AM
11 Second Club

I just did a Ls6 Swap today on my Ls1....Not a drop of coolant lost!!! Dont Drain Da COOOOLANT

And dont drop the bolt from the coolant pipes in da motor

And dont brake the oil sending unit

And you should be alright man
Old 01-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

damn that oil sending unit!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Don't need to drain coolant to take off intake?