LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   pacesetter headers and msd 8.5 plug wires fitment issue (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/670832-pacesetter-headers-msd-8-5-plug-wires-fitment-issue.html)

98PontiacTA 03-06-2007 12:22 AM

pacesetter headers and msd 8.5 plug wires fitment issue

I did a search on this and found that timmkish posted this same problem that one of the msd plug wire boots is touching the headers and i dont like reposting the same question but the only advice given to him is to buy some boot that goes over the msd one that is rated for over 1200 degrees or something i guess that might work but i dont care if the wires were rated for 3 million degrees i still just dont trust it and i know that alot of guys on here have the same setup so i was wondering if anyone else has come up with a better solution? right now i just zipp tied the wire to the one behind it to pull it away from the header it works but it looks horrible any ideas? timmkish's post was older so i was hoping that some one came up with some better solutions thanks in advance

ErikElvis 03-06-2007 12:27 AM

Mine rest on my Kooks headers. I agree its not ideal but theres no marks on the plug boot whatsoever :eek2:

98PontiacTA 03-06-2007 12:30 AM

man you must have bigger balls than i do or maybe i am just a cautious person but id rather have it look like crap with the zip ties than risk burning the boot and wrecking the wire how many miles have you put on the car with it touching the header?

orangeapeel 03-06-2007 12:35 AM

Mine touch my FLP's. Taylor makes a fire retardant boot that you can slip over the wire if it bothers you enough.

98PontiacTA 03-06-2007 12:50 AM

you guys arent using the stock heat shields are you? because i took mine off because they dont fit right and i read alot of threads and its kinda 50 50 on people who use the stock shields and people that dont. that boot would probably work but i really dont want anything touching my headers but i guess if theres no other way i just might buy some stock ones but thats my last resort thanks for the quick replies guys. anyother ideas is greatly appreciated

orangeapeel 03-06-2007 01:03 AM

Yeah i ditched my stock heat shields.

staringback05 03-06-2007 01:27 AM

somebody else makes a type of sleeve that will fit over it, almost like heat shrink

orangeapeel 03-06-2007 01:35 AM

I think you are thinking of Taylor.

98PontiacTA 03-06-2007 01:53 AM

so basically what your saying is no matter what it will be touching the header just makin sure i have no other options or modifications i can make at all is there any wires out there that i can buy that fit on without touching the headers and if there is then i have some msd wires for sale with only 30 miles on em

Galen 03-06-2007 04:29 AM

I just bent the boots of my MSD wires...problem solved.

98PontiacTA 03-06-2007 04:33 PM

well i went out and bent it pretty good and i have a little clearance between the header so i think ill have to be happy with that but thanks for all the replies so fast even though it has been posted before and sorry about that guys thanks alot

2_wacko 03-06-2007 07:17 PM

I used a ziptie for the only boot rubbing against the header. Looks ghetto but works for now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ture169789.jpg

98PontiacTA 03-07-2007 01:55 AM

that is the same one that i am having problems with and i zipped tied it to the plug wire behind it and i went out today and cut the zipp ties off and the wire seemed to stay in the same position so hopefully since it has been zipp tied in that position for so long it will stay like that i also bent it a tiny bit

TheBlurLS1 03-07-2007 02:00 AM

I've heard/read that you can bend the MSD boots away from header tubes, might want to confirm it though.

orangeapeel 03-07-2007 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I've heard/read that you can bend the MSD boots away from header tubes, might want to confirm it though.

YES.

You can bend an MSD boot up to 45 degrees. Only the straights, and only one time. I have mine bent to where they don't touch my FLP's.

FU_I_AM_UltraZ 03-07-2007 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Yeah i ditched my stock heat shields.

same here. the msd's boots bend so mine aren't on the primaries.

2_wacko 03-08-2007 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1

i just did this to mine, no more ziptie.