Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting exhaust put on on Monday, need this question answered pretty quick...

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting exhaust put on on Monday, need this question answered pretty quick...

I am getting my duals put on on monday and I was confident I knew exactly what I wanted, but I just read this over on the performance trucks site, and if it's true I may want to go with an H pipe instead of an X pipe.

What do you think?
"h is usually deeper and louder at idle, makes a lil more tq but less hp
x is usually not as deep but louder at wot, more hp but less tq than h

^^ just the basic generalization, but many times its been shown that theirs really no difference hardly noticable in either one save for maybe the sound.

and...

I can tell you from personal experience that an H-pipe is deeper sounding than an X-pipe. I have switched between the 2 twice on my car and the X-pipe is noticeably raspier than the H-pipe, and the H-pipe sounds much better with chambered mufflers, so if you want Flowmasters or MAC mufflers, get an H-pipe. As far as power differences I have seen articles that prove there is no real difference in power between the 2 even though some people claim otherwise. I recommend you buy for sound because the power difference, if there is any, is negligible."

And I was planning on getting flowmaster 1 chambers too..
Old 03-24-2007, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

this is somewhat true,if you want the exotic sound go x.imo one is no louder than the other
Old 03-24-2007, 11:02 PM
12 Second Club

So how true is the "the power difference, if there is any, is negligible"?

I want the sound to be deep and powerful with no rasp, and I'm getting chambered flowmasters. Thats why I dont like the "X-pipe is noticeably raspier than the H-pipe, and the H-pipe sounds much better with chambered mufflers."
Old 03-24-2007, 11:19 PM
12 Second Club

the x pipe will be more loud and raspy

i have hooker 1 3/4 headers and duals - 3 inch h pipe to twister mufflers. and the h at idle and cruising is deep, but not loud, i can hold a normal conversation in my car. little to moderate throttle is rich and deep, wot haha, thats the fun, loud, deep and nasty. i dont know what the hp difference is, prob anywhere from 5-15 hp depending on your set up. i love my h pipe set up thou.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

Ok, so people were telling me there was no rasp with duals, but everyone I've heard so far has said that the X is raspier than the H. So I'm confused. How can the X be raspier if people were saying that duals didn't have any rasp?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My vette from the factory had an H pipe. I bought a magnaflow X pipe and put on it. The X pipe made it quiet. The H is for sure louder.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:33 AM
12 Second Club

Well thats good. I want fairly tame under idle/cruising rpms.

What about the raspiness? I still don't get how you can have more of something there is none of? lol. Could someone explain what they mean?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will have more rasp with the H pipe. I don't know why but the Xpipe takes alot of the rasp out and makes it more quiet. I was running the stock Hpipe with Borla straight pipes with the stock cats. Believe it or not when i put the new Xpipe on I hated it because it made it sound so quiet and tame. I sure the hell wasn't going to junk my new Xpipe so I janked the cats off to get the sound I wanted. The one thing I do like about the X is that the sound is cleaner. It doesn't have the pop sound that the H has and the sound has a more equal tone with the Xpipe.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:05 AM
12 Second Club

Talk about conflicting accounts.

My advise is to try and listen to each, find what you think sounds best. Power will probably be negligible between the two.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

i have an x pipe and its loud but yet low with a tameee rumblee when i get on it, im running magnaflow bullits.. icouldnt be happier, i get compliments everywere i go! i would recomend that set up to anyone
Old 03-25-2007, 11:51 AM
Launching!

I heard/rode in a X pipe Sweet Thunder and an H pipe 1-chamber car, both cammed. The X pipe car screamed and was a lot louder. The H pipe car was still loud, but a lot deeper. So by my observations the X pipe car was louder.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here is what the Xpipe sounds like on a vette. I have LTs with no cats and two dynomax bullets. It's 2 1/2 all the way from the headers. I don't know but it may sound differant on a vette.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdSyrp_1mK0
Old 03-25-2007, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sickws698
i have an x pipe and its loud but yet low with a tameee rumblee when i get on it, im running magnaflow bullits.. icouldnt be happier, i get compliments everywere i go! i would recomend that set up to anyone
This Friday I am getting true dual 3 inch exhaust from my Kooks catted lt's back with a Magnaflow stamped x pipe and the Magnaflow 3 in 3 out 4 inch case bulllets I have nothing to compare it to. Do you think I'll be happy with this setup? I like loud but my straight 3 into 2.5 pipes sounded real sloppy.