Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cut Out Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut Out Questions

I am looking to electronically cut-out my exhaust. I wanted to get some of your opinions =-D Where do most people do theyre cutout? Anyone do double cutouts on the y-pipe? ive never had cutout(s) on a car before so im just trying to get some info. I have LTs, ORY, magnaflow catback and its pretty tame sounding like it is and id like to get some more bark when i want it
Old 04-06-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

by far, the funnest mod i have done is the cut out. in the f-body's "most" people put the cut out in the area of the rear passenger side seat. there is a spot there that is perfect for the cut out. that's where mine is. i have qtp.
qtp also makes a y-pipe with dual cut outs already made into the pipe. if given a 2nd chance, this is what i would do. the reason you don't see more dual cutouts on f-bods is clearance issues.
not sure if this is the right section to ask this question, but i hope that helps on the answer.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

I agree with wvaboy...get the dual E-cutouts on the Y. I had mine by the passenger seat and it would scrape sometimes although it was easy to get to and work on.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

where should i post this? i got on the qtp site and they dont have a y pipe with cutouts on it just about 15 different single and double cutouts set ups for sale. My y right now rubs my floorboard so i had to cram header wrap between it which pushed it down about and inch. it sits pretty low and when i have another y made its gonna have to be that low, i dont think i need anything to hang down much lower. i think the double cutout on the y would be coolest but does it cause any problems like due to lack of backpressure or anything?? Anymore info anyone? =-D
Old 04-06-2007, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

http://shop.quicktimeperformance.com...ct_detail&p=19

all kinds of junk for the ls1 on their site. here's 1 of them.
most guys in this sections either have a ls2/ls7/or l92 setup. you may have better luck in the ls1 section.
i don't have the qtp y-pipe so i can't help you with those questions. i'm guessing no matter what y-pipe you have is not hanging down low because of what "type" of y-pipe it is, but probably from which header they are connected to.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive been reading a bit about some experienced people are having and it seems like every brand is a total POS. Everyones complaining about fitment issues, the cap hanging down and dragging when opened, the motor "falling off", and the gears are made of plastic and stripping out, leaving it unusable. Sounds like id be better off just getting the old school kinda and jacking the car everytime i want to open them or close them??
Old 04-06-2007, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

my uncle (heymoej) is running a QTP single cutout under passenger seat. car is lowered on eibach sportlines and never had a cutout scraping issue. only 1 small problem so far, the cutout didnt want to close all the way, minor adjustment and its all good now. i believe its been on for 2 yrs now and no troubles. when i put 1 on im goin QTP
Old 04-06-2007, 03:59 PM
11 Second Club

i wouldnt suggest Qtp I just recently had to take mine off.(After 2 years which I guess isnt to bad) because the gears finnially gave out in the motor. Qtp wont warranty there motor but http://dmhperformance.com/ has cutout motors with 4 year warranty with a comperable price. Ive never owned DMH but if i were going to do it again id try them.. You can purchase it from http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm?catagory=Exhaust
Old 04-06-2007, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt reccomend qtp, the gears quit working after 8 months on mine, so Now mines capped off. They dont warranty anything either. I probably will try that dmh one.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like QTP overall sucks. Ive read more bad than good about thier stuff.
Old 04-07-2007, 04:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 11secondhorse
Seems like QTP overall sucks. Ive read more bad than good about thier stuff.

Same here but if you can get the headers to fit they are awesome. Im in the process of saving up to make a custom y with dual cut-outs magnaflow cats and a magnaflow cat back. So id be interested in which elec cutout is better
Old 04-12-2007, 03:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

i had a qtp tha worked fine untile i got some fat guys in the back seat. they lowered the car enough that it ripped off on a crack in the road
Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Resident

Default best 1 out there

non-sponsor link removed by Admin.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

I've actually had both a single under the rear seat and I have QTP's dual cut out Y pipe on there now. But it is coming off and going back to a single. The duals hang a bit low and the Y pipe is very heavy. BUT, with both of them opened, it sounds like a pro stock race car.
When I pull up to the local car show on Friday nights, everyone is watching me.
Or when I open them at a light, people about **** them selves.LOL.

I actually gained 5rwhp on the dyno with the single. I never dyno'd the duals.

My dual is now up for sale for a very reasonable price.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ski23
my uncle (heymoej) is running a QTP single cutout under passenger seat. car is lowered on eibach sportlines and never had a cutout scraping issue. only 1 small problem so far, the cutout didnt want to close all the way, minor adjustment and its all good now. i believe its been on for 2 yrs now and no troubles. when i put 1 on im goin QTP

hey ski your uncles car sounds like its running the same suspension and i also want to get a cutout with the 2" drop. you think you could send me some pics of the setup, maybe a coke can pic. Thanks

Last edited by six8fbird; 04-14-2007 at 03:22 AM.