Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Do you like the setup?
yes
43.75%
no
56.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Ok so here is my setup I am Getting with Price

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 03:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok so here is my setup I am Getting with Price

OK so I am going to go to be getting two electric cutouts put after my headers connected to my y-pipe. Them have a sinle high flow cat in my i-pipe, then a magnaflow muffler in the back. Let me know what you guys think.

The total cost is $588 plus tax.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

not a bad idea, i too have thought about this setup my self but without the cutouts
Old 06-18-2007, 05:35 PM
11 Second Club

Why are you putting in a cat? Are you doing a single outlet muffler or dual?
Old 06-18-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

single cat? why not do cats off the headers into dual cutouts, or headers into dual cutouts into cats? running 1 cat is a BAD idea.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

why is one high flow cat bad? Does that mean no cats is ever worse? I have no cats right now and figured one can in the i-pipe after the y-pipe would be good at least make my car legal.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by djlackore
why is one high flow cat bad? Does that mean no cats is ever worse? I have no cats right now and figured one can in the i-pipe after the y-pipe would be good at least make my car legal.
what?

first off, moving your cats AT ALL is illegal. if you cut out two cats and only put on one, you are now emissions illegal.

longtube headers are illegal.

mac mids are illegal.

shorties without a CARB number are illegal.

running cats DOES NOT make you legal. i'm going to run QTP longtubes with cats. between the longtubes and the cats being moved from the factory location, my exhaust setup will be illegal.

if you run one cat in the I-pipe, you have to flow the ENTIRE MOTOR through ONE little cat. that will result in a very large horsepower loss. when you run two cats, each cat only has to flow half the motor - 4 cylinders. while one cat can lose gobs of horsepower, running 2 very good high flow cats can result in almost no horsepower loss.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:14 AM
On The Tree

ok, so having no cats actually cost you horsepower?
Old 06-19-2007, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

...no if you didn't have any cats it wouldn't have to flow through the cats so thus it would make more power...
Old 06-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Resident

ok, so having no cats actually cost you horsepower?
no. removing your cats can only increase horsepower, or at the very least, have no gain/no loss. you may lose some of that torquey "feel" by removing your cats because there's less backpressure, but as long as you're tuned right, having no cats can only help your peak power. i HAVE heard of people removing their cats and having the car run like absolute crap. that does happen sometimes, but it's nothing a dyno tune can't fix, i assume.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Ok so due to new knowledge i am going to go with 3 inch cutouts after the headers, then two high flow magnaflow cats after the cutouts connected to my y-pipe. Then a magnaflow mufflers in the back with no exhaust tips, but no tubes showing. Do you guys like this setup better?
Old 06-20-2007, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

yea i like this new one better
Old 06-20-2007, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Like stated previously, moving the cats from their stock locations is illegal already so there would be no point in putting in a single high flow into the system.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Well, the reason i was gonna go with one high flow cat is because i don't plan on raceing when my cutouts are closed and the inspection is more likely to pass if i have a cat on there somewhere and am not throwing any codes. The guy at the exhaust shop said they will pass me as long as there is a cat somewhere and no caodes. I would rather not buy two high flow cats.

Would it harm me any other was by having one cat on there, besides robbing horsepower? I will have electric cutouts so i can open them anytime.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:38 PM
Tech Resident

Well, the reason i was gonna go with one high flow cat is because i don't plan on raceing when my cutouts are closed and the inspection is more likely to pass if i have a cat on there somewhere and am not throwing any codes. The guy at the exhaust shop said they will pass me as long as there is a cat somewhere and no caodes. I would rather not buy two high flow cats.
it's still a bad idea. just get 2 cats. ****, get two cheapass ebay cats, or get 2 cheap cats and hollow them out. just whatever you do, don't jam one single cat into your I-pipe. it's ridiculous.
Would it harm me any other was by having one cat on there, besides robbing horsepower? I will have electric cutouts so i can open them anytime.
on another note, running 2 cutouts will net you less horsepower than one. if you have a y-pipe with a good merge, you're going to gain no scavenging effect and it'll be like running open headers. x-pipes gain over open headers, for example.

get yourself 2 high flow cats, a y-pipe with a good merge (like a flowmaster merge) and weld one cutout in the I-pipe.

it blows my mind that you won't spend the money on 2 cats, but you're willing to spend an extra $200 on an electric cutout that will net you LESS horsepower you only need 1 cutout. you need 2 cats. you'll save money and gain the most hp this way.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:47 PM
On The Tree

Its not that i wont do it i am just trying to figure out the best wasy to get the maximum hp. I have people telling me different things. I am just trying to get all the facts straight
Old 06-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Tech Resident

Its not that i wont do it i am just trying to figure out the best wasy to get the maximum hp. I have people telling me different things. I am just trying to get all the facts straight
if you want maximum horsepower while retaining cats, you'll run longtubes into 2 magnaflow 59959's, then feed it into a 3" X-pipe and into 2 dynomax bullets. you can't get more horsepower than that on a setup with cats.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

ok. Thanks for all your input man. I am probably going to go with 2 high flow magnaflow cats after headers, that connect to my ory then have my electric cutout in my i-pip and have a magnaflow muffler in the back with pipes dumped. What do you think i will dyno at with my mods and a tune?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
...on another note, running 2 cutouts will net you less horsepower than one. if you have a y-pipe with a good merge, you're going to gain no scavenging effect and it'll be like running open headers. x-pipes gain over open headers, for example.

get yourself 2 high flow cats, a y-pipe with a good merge (like a flowmaster merge) and weld one cutout in the I-pipe.
This is simply not true. The scavaging effect of a merge is good if you are running a full exhaust system but it will NOT flow better than what are effectively open headers (twin cut-outs) - especially if you are going to run cats. With a cut-out after the merge, you have the flow resistance of two cats and some 8 feet of bent pipe that does not exist with cut-outs at the headers - much more flow resistance than is recovered by a merge.

The best set-up if you are going to run cats and an exhaust out the back is dual cut-outs at the headers, then cats (as close to the headers as possible for heat), then the merge into the I-pipe. The only problem is that it is tight getting the cut-out and cat into the Y before the bends. I will have to use metallic cats (short) and cut some off the ends of the header collectors, cut-outs, and cats to make it all fit - it will be a slick set-up though.

Steve
Old 06-21-2007, 08:47 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by schultzsj
This is simply not true. The scavaging effect of a merge is good if you are running a full exhaust system but it will NOT flow better than what are effectively open headers (twin cut-outs) - especially if you are going to run cats.
:sigh:

"flow" is a small component of what makes an exhaust good. all the flow in the world doesn't make up for the scavenging effect. it's been proven many times that a good X-pipe gains both under the curve and peak numbers over open headers. so in short, open headers DOES NOT give you the biggest gains. that's been proven - when set up properly, a midpipe can show gains all over the power curve vs. open headers. on the same note, this is why dual cutouts in a y-pipe LOSE POWER over a single cutout in the I-pipe. in short, you're the one that's wrong here.

on top of that, a GOOD set of cats, such as magnaflow 59959's, flow so well, they create nearly no horsepower loss and hardly even change the tone. running cats and a midpipe can STILL gain over open headers if set up properly.

so, once again, since more flow does NOT equal more power, we can end this argument
Originally Posted by schultzsj
The best set-up if you are going to run cats and an exhaust out the back is dual cut-outs at the headers, then cats (as close to the headers as possible for heat), then the merge into the I-pipe.
once again, dual cutouts show a power loss over a cutout in the I-pipe. if you get a GOOD set of cats, something with a spun metal core like the magnaflows i referenced above, anything is possible.

just make sure you use high quality components.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

hey man i really appreciate your heal!!! i am going to go with two high flow magnaflow cats. are those the carsounds cats? And then keep my cutout in the i-pipe with a magnaflow muffler in the back.

Also, should i get my car dyno tuned for $400 before i get this exhaust. The dyno tune is a lifetime tune. Just after i get my new exhaust i just have to pay $60 for a dyno fee and they re-tune it with the new exhaust set-up? I just put the headers on and i think i should tune it with the new headers.