Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ses exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ses exhaust question

I have a 2000 trans am LS1 with just a few mods. Today when I was driving my car (98 degrees 80% humidity) the ses light came on and my car started running like crap. I pulled into the local Advance auto and they scanned my codes and they said both rear O2 sensors were bad and 1 Cat was bad. Two questions one would the cat being bad make my car fall on its face and run bad and if the O2 sensors are both bad how does it know the converter is bad? Isn't the O2 sensor what moniters the cats? Oh one more question can I just gut the cats if they are bad and buy O2 sims to solve both problems until I can save for my headers and Y-pipe? Thanks in advance
Old 07-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the rear o2 sensors only monitor the cats. If they went bad it wouldnt effect you car. Nor would a bad cat. I'm not sure how the PCM would know that the cat is bad. You could gut the cats and add o2 sims without a problem. I would suggest getting the actual codes that you are throwing. Then research from there.

If it was running like crap maybe one of the plug wires was arching. Have you started/driven it since the problem? Im not sure if an arching wire would cause some of the other problems you have. Maybe all that unburnt fuel was too much for the cat and some slipped through causeing the sensor to show a bad cat?

Let us know what you find.
Old 07-09-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have the actual codes? I wouldn't trust those guys just saying 02s are bad. BTW stock cats are covered under warranty by GM now for 10yrs/120K on the 00-02 F cars.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Hey thanks for the info guys. I drove my car to work today and it ran OK. I'm a little embarassed to tell ya what I think I discovered the problem to be but here goes. My buddy at work said sounds like you got bad gas.....then I started thinking. It started running better after I filled it up this morning on my way to work so when I got home I checked the directions on a bottle of octane boost/ fuel injector cleaner I put in when the car had a 1/4 tank of gas and it said mix with 25 gal of gas. Oh by the way ses light is out now also. I am calling the garage tomorrow to have them check codes and ask about that warranty info. Sorry to waste you guy's valuable time on my stupid mistake but I do appreciate the info
Old 07-09-2007, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
Do you have the actual codes? I wouldn't trust those guys just saying 02s are bad. BTW stock cats are covered under warranty by GM now for 10yrs/120K on the 00-02 F cars.

really? its that high now. damn last I heard it was like 8/80 but thats cool
Old 07-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by px33transam
Hey thanks for the info guys. I drove my car to work today and it ran OK. I'm a little embarassed to tell ya what I think I discovered the problem to be but here goes. My buddy at work said sounds like you got bad gas.....then I started thinking. It started running better after I filled it up this morning on my way to work so when I got home I checked the directions on a bottle of octane boost/ fuel injector cleaner I put in when the car had a 1/4 tank of gas and it said mix with 25 gal of gas. Oh by the way ses light is out now also. I am calling the garage tomorrow to have them check codes and ask about that warranty info. Sorry to waste you guy's valuable time on my stupid mistake but I do appreciate the info

no prob. You will want to change your fuel filter now though. Most injector cleaners have solvents that strip **** of the inside of the tank. The filter should have caught it all. Just change it out pretty soon.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Never thought of changing filter but good point I'll pick up one tomorrow. Thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Nor would a bad cat
WTF are you serious???

to the op yes a bad "clogged"cat will cause your car to run bad....usually a notice in power is common.....ive seen the insides of the factory cats comeapart and cause cars to barely run....

if the code said the cat was bad its normaly bad....but the rear o2s will not affect performance in any way.....
Old 07-09-2007, 11:23 PM
On The Tree

I had something pretty similar to this when i ran Walmart gas....I just put some injector cleaner in though and it ran pretty well. After that i got the better gas and it has been fine ever sense
Old 07-09-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 68chevypu
really? its that high now. damn last I heard it was like 8/80 but thats cool
Yea...I think it was around December that they sent out letters to everyone stating that they were extending the warranty to 10/120.
Old 07-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
WTF are you serious???

to the op yes a bad "clogged"cat will cause your car to run bad....usually a notice in power is common.....ive seen the insides of the factory cats comeapart and cause cars to barely run....

if the code said the cat was bad its normaly bad....but the rear o2s will not affect performance in any way.....

wow sorry. My mistake. Never had to deal with them before.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

I called the dealer today and they said they needed my VIN # and they could tell me wheather I was under warranty or not. I only have 60k miles on the car and its a 2000 so it should be covered. My car seems ok now but I cleared the codes and they came back and the car sometimes feels like it falls on its face a little during slow acceleration but put her to the floor and she runs great.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you throwing P0420 and/or P0430? I'd leave them stored. If something else might not be the cat(s), and the dealer will charge their diagnostic fee - and for any repairs.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

I just deleted them thinking the whole fuel injector/octane boost thing is why it threw the codes but they came on again so maybe there is a problem or I messed something up. As far as the #'s on the codes the guy at advance auto didnt let me see the machine he just said passenger cat and both rear O2 sensors were bad. I will find out tommorrow when I call them with my Vin and then they scan it at the dealer. You think I should put her back to stock before I take it to the dealer or does the hypertech not void any warranties?
Old 07-11-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd return it to stock tune before seeing a dealer - believe hypertech manual recommends it in their instruction booket too.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:12 PM
Staging Lane

Putting the car back to stock and I have an appointment next Friday to get new cat installed. My dealer said the warranty is for 80k miles or 8 years but that doesnt matter I'm still covered.COOL!!!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dealer obviously didn't get the memo. LOL