Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spinning Crank Pulley...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spinning Crank Pulley...

Seeing as how the "search" feature isn't working right now (at least for me!) I figured I'd post this and see what people think.

I've cammed my C5 in Feb - had the crank bolt back out and the balancer come off within a few weeks of the install. Put it back on with a new bolt and some loctite. It's been good since then...UNTIL yesterday. Did a few burnouts and did some really agressive driving in the mountains. Took a look and the marks (white-out) on the bolt/pulley do not line up anymore. I figured maybe it was a one time "thing". So I marked them again, went out driving a little bit and did some 0-90 runs. Sure enough, the NEW dots no longer line up. The bolt has not come loose, so I'm assuming that the pulley is spinning on the crank snout.

1. I'm going to pin the crank. I want to go with a powerbond pulley - what pin kit should i go with? I've read the ATI is installed perpendicular to the crank snout - not what i wanna do. Does anyone know much about the magnacharger pin kit? Will it work with the powerbond underdrive pulley?

2. If I am gentle on the car, I assume it is ok to drive as long as the NEW (3rd set) dots don't move?

3. Seeing as how I'm cammed, and do not plan on going FI - is this most likely a case of just needing a new pulley and NOT having to worry about pinning the crank?

Normally I don't post without searching for a long time - but i can't seem to get ANY search to work right now - I know this has prob been asked before!

Thanks in advance!

- Jeff
Old 07-12-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not something that happens very often, or at least that most of us have checked. The motor is zero balanaced, so it shouldn't cause issues if it moves.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did u torque the crank bolt down to spec?