Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exaust Question?

Old 08-24-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exaust Question?

I've got a Dynatech Supermax exaust system. It has a Y-pipe that changes 2-2 1/2 pipes into a 3 inch single. If I bought another Y section and expanded it enough to slip on my Y would it have the same effect as a XPipe? I could run my duels from there on back. Weird Idea? Good Idea? Somebody gotta tried this by now.
Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by NC98Z
I've got a Dynatech Supermax exaust system. It has a Y-pipe that changes 2-2 1/2 pipes into a 3 inch single. If I bought another Y section and expanded it enough to slip on my Y would it have the same effect as a XPipe? I could run my duels from there on back. Weird Idea? Good Idea? Somebody gotta tried this by now.
I do not like that idea, though it may be cheaper than the alternative. If you want to run duals, I would suggest cutting the merge out and installing a proper crossover. I think you would be largely negating the benefits of a dual system with that constriction at the merge. The cross-sectional area in the middle of my dual system crossover is probably equivalent to the sum of the cross-sectional area of both inlets, if not more. I am not real comfortable with flow dynamics, but this seems intuitive.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It won't be like an X pipe because an X pipe is 2 pipes that share a common hole in between them but they don't actually merge into a single pipe. your idea would actually be combining them completely into one pipe.. then splitting them back out to 2.

Search this Thread