LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   VOLANT CAI and RAM AIR HOOD ??? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/785388-volant-cai-ram-air-hood.html)

99DWPTA 09-19-2007 01:00 AM

VOLANT CAI and RAM AIR HOOD ???

well just got my volant cold air intake kit...... since its a sealed box around the hood... wheres the air coming from to get to the filter???? also...any write up on how to debaffle the ram air hood... i guess there 2 diffrent baffles in there one for rain and one for another reason????

bww3588 09-19-2007 02:16 AM

waste of money......ditch the volant and get the FTRA or SSRA.

Fb0dy0nly 09-19-2007 06:51 AM

:stupid:

nytmare1 09-19-2007 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by bww3588
waste of money......ditch the volant and get the FTRA or SSRA.

Matter of opinion. I challenge anyone to find conclusive tests that show the Volant is any less effective than any other CAI on the market.

I searched all over the net (including about any LS1/FBody site I could find) for weeks looking for tests (beyond Volants claims). I found that there really isn't anything that indicates that a lid, FTRA, SSRA, or anyother CAI type mod is any better or worse. Actually, I found some extensive testing done by one guy who built a home made Volant (twin cone, less the box) and his dyno testing seemed to indicate that the cone set up worked better than a lid. And before anyone jumps on the bandwagon... I know that the minute differences he saw on the dyno can be attributed to other outside influences. Which is why I still say that there's really no conclusive data.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Volant. If that's the look you like... knock yourself out. They can sometimes be found on eBay for cheap.

SchultzLT1 09-19-2007 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by nytmare1
Matter of opinion. I challenge anyone to find conclusive tests that show the Volant is any less effective than any other CAI on the market.

I searched all over the net (including about any LS1/FBody site I could find) for weeks looking for tests (beyond Volants claims). I found that there really isn't anything that indicates that a lid, FTRA, SSRA, or anyother CAI type mod is any better or worse. Actually, I found some extensive testing done by one guy who built a home made Volant (twin cone, less the box) and his dyno testing seemed to indicate that the cone set up worked better than a lid. And before anyone jumps on the bandwagon... I know that the minute differences he saw on the dyno can be attributed to other outside influences. Which is why I still say that there's really no conclusive data.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the Volant. If that's the look you like... knock yourself out. They can sometimes be found on eBay for cheap.

I disagree, a .1-.2 decrease in ET has been consistently seen when adding a FTRA to a lid.

jag42420 09-19-2007 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
well just got my volant cold air intake kit...... since its a sealed box around the hood... wheres the air coming from to get to the filter???? also...any write up on how to debaffle the ram air hood... i guess there 2 diffrent baffles in there one for rain and one for another reason????

I can't answer your first question. I have seen a Volant dyno somewhere, and it flowed as well as the lid they tested. I'll post it if I can find it again. I do know that several people have had problems sealing the volant. You can put vaseline on the seal, close the hood and check for it on the hood when you open it. Several people have had to weatherstrip the hood to get a seal. As for the baffles, they are easy to remove. When you open the hood and look underneath you'll see rivets. Drill them out and the baffles will come out easily. I think there were 4 per baffle (2 baffles).

I left the front one in mine to deflect rain, as you can see from this picture http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...42420/JGRA.jpg . Several people remove both http://guerragroup.com/PGRA1.JPG and I have never read of any problems from removing both. I just like the piece of mind.

bww3588 09-19-2007 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by nytmare1

your right, it does flow just as good as a lid, a lid without the FTRA or SSRA. the problem with the Volant is its only going to pull avaliable air, which the Ram Air lower air box already does, its just routed a little different. also, another problem is that the Ram Air nostrils dont get a full ram air effect like it should seem. air coming up across the nose interfears with straight on air that would enter the hood and causes turbulance. the SSRA, or FTRA pulls cold air from directly below the car where there is no turbulance from the car itself. its been tested, volant and K&N CAI's are not worth the money. now if you can get it cheap then thats a different story, but full gains are found with the SSRA or FTRA.

jag42420 09-19-2007 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by bww3588
another problem is that the Ram Air nostrils dont get a full ram air effect like it should seem. air coming up across the nose interfears with straight on air that would enter the hood and causes turbulance.

The ram air does work, it has been proven. https://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k...amairchart.jpg
As you can see from the chart, the ram air effect is not really effective until about 50mph, and it is a lot more effective when debaffled and sealed.

Besides the fact ram air does create pressure, it also drops IATs as it pulls in cooler air from outside the hood, again, moreso when sealed. While FRTA and SSRA are definitely worthwhile mods for a non WS6 TA, considering the cost versus effectiveness on a WS6 (when compared to a debaffled sealed hood), I don't see the advantage. You' get the same ram air type effect any way you go, and they all are effective CAIs. The debaffled/sealed hood saves a couple hundred bucks.

FTRA and SSRA both reduce airflow across the radiator (SSRA moreso than FTRA) where the stock WS6 nostrils do not. I always recommend at least partial debaffling and sealing over buying a CAI. Everyone has their own opinion. This is just mine.

I'd like to see the variances in IATs between all these systems. My sealed partially debaffled hood yields me IATs about 5-10 degrees higher than the outside temps in town sitting at stoplights and moving <30mph. On the highway, my IATs run about the same as the outside temps.

bww3588 09-20-2007 01:27 AM

im not arguing that the debaffled hood and sealed air box isint cost effective versus the FTRA or SSRA, (it is) im arguing the cost effectiveness of the volant with the sealed box. unless you get it really cheap, the SSRA or FTRA is the way to go.

99DWPTA 09-20-2007 02:01 AM

i dont get how you seal the hood to a volant intake system???

jag42420 09-20-2007 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
i dont get how you seal the hood to a volant intake system???

It has to be modified to fit the WS6 hood from what I've read. I know there are several sealing issues even with the regular hood. You can take vaseline or something and rub on the seal, then close the hood. When you open the hood, look to see where the is and is not. Where it is not it where your leaks are. Sealing them is what sucks. Some use weatherstripping on the hood to get it to meet the box. You'll have to see what works for you. Good luck.

cancam99ss 10-01-2010 08:38 AM

i want this intake system!

nmbr5ml 10-03-2010 09:59 AM

I have the Volant in my Camaro. I had an SLP lid previously. I also have a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT and used the K&N intake for that and it made a HUGE difference in that car (the intake in that car was severely restrictive), so I hoped for a similar difference in my Camaro, with a similar setup. I didn't go with the K&N because the LS1 version only has access to hot underhood air, where the Volant has the heat shield that seals to my hood. You can actually hear the Volant intake sucking air through the hood scoop.

I thought that was pretty cool, but the bottom line is there wasn't much of a difference. I didn't dyno before or after and can't cite definitive results, but felt no difference in throttle response, acceleration or even sound (aside from the sucking sound outside the car) between the SLP and Volant setup. I swapped out my stock exhaust for a TSP rumbler a few days later and that made a noticeable, seat of the pants difference, but I do believe that the Volant, in retrospect, probably wasn't worth the $$$.

nmbr5ml 10-03-2010 10:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Volant setup, right after I installed it. You can see the bracket bent off to the side and where I had to drill through it to bolt it down. It isn't made very well and the fitment sucked. It also came with no instructions of any kind, so if you haven't done a lot of work on your car, install would be a crapshoot. It did work fine once I messed with it a bit, but it didn't just bolt right in as designed, at least in my car.

TheBlueKnight 10-03-2010 10:41 AM

Dyno testing for a CAI :confused: How are you going to see the effects of a Ram Air system for any CAI like the FTRA, SSRA or even debaffled/ sealed WS6 hood on a dyno. The car is sitting there, and there is no way in hell those industrial fans they put in front of the cars come anywhere close to creating the amount of pressure that is made by a car going 60, 80 100+mph. That's why CAI's are tested for how much mph they gain in quarter mile trap speeds.

bww3588 10-03-2010 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight (Post 13942167)
Dyno testing for a CAI :confused: How are you going to see the effects of a Ram Air system for any CAI like the FTRA, SSRA or even debaffled/ sealed WS6 hood on a dyno. The car is sitting there, and there is no way in hell those industrial fans they put in front of the cars come anywhere close to creating the amount of pressure that is made by a car going 60, 80 100+mph. That's why CAI's are tested for how much mph they gain in quarter mile trap speeds.

Agreed...the only thing your going to test in a dyno cell is the flow aspects of varoius setups. The real test is trap speed and et's

Silvy6.0 10-06-2010 05:59 PM

How do you get one of these to seal on a cowl hood? I have a fiberglass pin-on VFN and I was considering this setup. Just don't know how to make it seal. I don't think it would be very effective without a good seal...Any thoughts?

senicalj4579 10-06-2010 10:33 PM

waste of money. I had ssra on 2 of my cars. I just took one off today bacuse hydrolock has become a concern and I needed the room for my trans cooler. But the volant is a huge waste of money sorry dude. Also I bet chances of hydrolocking with that volant is pretty good unless you dont drive in the rain

nmbr5ml 05-01-2011 05:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thought I would revive this thread to update my results with the Volant. Like mentioned earlier, it didn't fit that well, to include the weather stripping on the heat shield to the hood.

So I figured out where it was/wasn't sealing and used weather stripping on the hood to fill it in. I then took the car out for a spirited drive through rural Nebraska, with adversarial runs against a Mustang a Trailblazer SS and a guy who looked about 80 in an Impala SS (not bragging on any of those, but the engine compartment definitely heated up).

When I got home, I wanted to see if the weather stripping had remained in place, especially what was in the airbox itself. With the headers and all, needless to say it was hot under the hood, very hot. Inside the heat shield though, the filter and areas surrounding it, was cold. It was about 50 degrees out and the whole inside of the Volant intake was no warmer than the ambient air. Prior to the weather stripping, this area would get pretty hot, so that definitely made a difference.

So in summary, if you ensure a decent seal against the hood, the Volant intake works very well. It would work a lot better on a WS6 hood than it does on mine. I'm sure the FTRA or SSRA would be an improvement, but in my opinion the Volant was far from a waste.

shorty(98TA) 05-01-2011 10:06 PM

good thread. My volant is going on this week