Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Single Chamber in I pipe w/GMMG???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro
.. or if my car was rasping away but nobody was around to hear it would the Rasp exist?
aaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha.......i think choco's missing my point. i appreciate his insight but i really wanted to see if anyone has ever actually tried something other than a bullet in the i pipe to solve this problem, without using a muffler and quieting it down too much. i made it clear from the start that i didn't want cats which was the whole point of coming up with an alternate solution. there's got to be a way to put something in the i pipe to adjust the sound pulses without sacrificing flow. i guess my i pipe will be the testing ground...
Old 11-26-2007, 10:59 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

.. on the flipside where is all the info on your High flow cats? How can you make the assumption that Hi Flow cats are soo much better without presenting data on those either?

A single 3" cat can flow 598 cfm. Show me ONE 3" muffler that can flow 1196 cfm.

lol.. yeah the Rasp still exists to all those people that live inside the I pipe of the car before the muffler.. Very Philosophical.. Man I wonder if Rasp still exists in my true dual exhaust now because at one time I ran an ORY that rasped.. or if my car was rasping away but nobody was around to hear it would the Rasp exist?
The point is, if you want to run small mufflers like bullets or no mufflers, it's virtually impossible to get it raspless with a y-pipe setup.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The design of the Y-pipe does influence the sound. I agree that it will not eliminate it, but you can have better performance and sound with well designed Y-pipe.

I used the larger (18"?) dynomax 3" race bullet in my '99Z in the I-pipe. It worked pretty well.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99
The design of the Y-pipe does influence the sound. I agree that it will not eliminate it, but you can have better performance and sound with well designed Y-pipe.

I used the larger (18"?) dynomax 3" race bullet in my '99Z in the I-pipe. It worked pretty well.
Agreed...the ARH Y pipe is as good as I could find without having one fabbed up with the flowmaster merge. I wanted a stainless system that matched my headers. I have the magnaflow stainless bullet and it did deepen it and kill alot of it but there's still a 2-300 rpm range in there where it hammers and is just ridiculous when you're in town driving. It's not the end of the world, I'd just like to finally find a solution to this without adding cats. I figured there'd be enough engineering minds on here to put some thought to it and advise a solution.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Instead of using the flowmaster merge... you can also use one of two things that have struck my interest... I'm not a huge flowmaster fan, so I'm not really into purchasing any of their products ... ever...

for my custom Y setup... I'm using one of two or three items...
Two of the items come from Dr Gas ... either their 90 degree or their straight 2 into 1 merge collectors with a short reducer cone to go back to 3" and directly into the intermediate ...

this alone should most certainly help with rasp (I consider the 90 degree just because it may seem easier to use in the process of fabbing a true-merge Y pipe)...

unfortunately, they're a bit most costly than the other option.

the other option is a magnaflow True Y ... unfortunately, it's not a stainless piece, it's stamped, but it's a great deal less and it requires zero reducer cone as well...

either of these products alone will cancel out a lot of rasp, they both do the same thing, smooth out the flow of the exhaust and help scavenge a bit more and increase the power (theoretically at least for the power)

it's not an overall cure for it, but it does end up being a major player when it comes down to it.

another good thing about dr gas is that they also offer lengths of oval tubing with round in/out so it makes a custom Y for clearance issues much better...

just something to think about.

Quick Reply: Single Chamber in I pipe w/GMMG???