Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone run the Volant Cold Air Induction on a TA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Anyone run the Volant Cold Air Induction on a TA?

I was thinking about doing this on my TA since it has the ram air hood, it would be something different rather than just the normal lid.. anyone else run it?

Volant CAI
Old 12-13-2007, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just get a lid bro... I think its a waste of money and looks ugly as sin!
Old 12-13-2007, 03:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I already have an SLP lid and pretty much full bolt ons and a cam, just figured it would be different to have real ram air
Old 12-13-2007, 03:32 AM
TECH Addict

I call BS on there 18hp/40lbs of torque increase. From EVERY CAI kit ive ever seen dyno numbers for NONE of them have out done a lid. They do produce similar numbers probally 10-12 HP. But dont let the "CAI" fool you its not goin to help anymore then a lid will. I would put your money elsewhere if you already have a lid but thats just me unless you want it just for the looks
Old 12-13-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use the search feature and you'll find numerous threads on the Volant vs. lid thing.

I have a Volant and it works well.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

A lid and SSRA or FTRA will work much better than that volant junk. The volant is just for looks.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Junkie

everyone hates the Volant... which i believe is just mostly people jumping on the bandwagon...

I'm going to be getting one over the lid just because with the volant

1. There are no sealing issues that you may have with a lid (by sealing i mean Filter/Lid Sealing...)

2. Speaking of sealing, the volant seals the cold air to the hood... with a lid you have to fabricate your own gasket...

3. Volant seems to make a louder "sucking" sound... Which i think is cool

4. IMO the volant just looks bad ***

5. I have a WS.6 so the volant will work the best for my application

6. No Lid "Cracking" issues

the only CON i see is it's more expensive... but you can get a brand new one in the $230 range online... and most of our sponsers here will price match so... when you pay about $150-$170 for a lid/filter what's the extra $60?
Old 12-13-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
A lid and SSRA or FTRA will work much better than that volant junk. The volant is just for looks.
Interesting comment. What data do you have that led you to that conclusion? If you have no data, can I assume that's simply an opinion based on no facts?

I'm not trying to be a smartass. I honestly want to know where you draw your conclusions from.

All the testing I've seen, which is not much, seems to indicate that the Volant works every bit as good as a lid (notice I didn't say "better"). I've not seen any data that compared a Volant to a SSRA or FTRA.

Also, a Volant really works best on a Trans Am (particularly a WS6) and not as well on a Camaro (to include the SS).

A new Volant is more expensive than a new lid, but I purchased my Volant used off of eBay for basically the price of a new lid, plus shipping. The looks of a Volant is obviously much different than a lid setup, but to say the Volant looks like *** is simply an opinion. It's like saying that you like the sound of the GMMG exhaust and that a Magnaflow sounds like crap. It's all a matter of opinion. I think a WS6 looks much nicer than an SS, but again... (no offense to SS owners, just making a point).

Marc
Old 12-13-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nytmare1
Interesting comment. What data do you have that led you to that conclusion? If you have no data, can I assume that's simply an opinion based on no facts?

I'm not trying to be a smartass. I honestly want to know where you draw your conclusions from.

All the testing I've seen, which is not much, seems to indicate that the Volant works every bit as good as a lid (notice I didn't say "better"). I've not seen any data that compared a Volant to a SSRA or FTRA.

Also, a Volant really works best on a Trans Am (particularly a WS6) and not as well on a Camaro (to include the SS).

A new Volant is more expensive than a new lid, but I purchased my Volant used off of eBay for basically the price of a new lid, plus shipping. The looks of a Volant is obviously much different than a lid setup, but to say the Volant looks like *** is simply an opinion. It's like saying that you like the sound of the GMMG exhaust and that a Magnaflow sounds like crap. It's all a matter of opinion. I think a WS6 looks much nicer than an SS, but again... (no offense to SS owners, just making a point).

Marc
Logic would say that with the WS6 hood, and the filters of the Volant being right in front, it would draw in cooler air and therefore make more power....?
Old 12-13-2007, 04:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a CAI just not the volant, I got mine simply because the lid was putting rub marks into my hood, and the k&n doesnt do it. Plus the CAI's look much much better IMO, and to say that they suck hot air is just dumb. Even on a hot summer day you can put your bare hand on the intake and it will be cool to the touch. Results may or may not be the same, I didnt try it when i had the lid..
Old 12-13-2007, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
I have a CAI just not the volant, I got mine simply because the lid was putting rub marks into my hood, and the k&n doesnt do it. Plus the CAI's look much much better IMO, and to say that they suck hot air is just dumb. Even on a hot summer day you can put your bare hand on the intake and it will be cool to the touch. Results may or may not be the same, I didnt try it when i had the lid..
Yeah, i have an SLP lid on my TA currently (it came with the car) it rubs on the hood, it is a bit annoying... The Volant and the K&N are comparable in price hmm..... does anyone have a picture of a Volant installed on a TA?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nytmare1

Marc

Well I would'nt say it's based on no facts. Now I do not have any "data" as you say. But I came to this conclusion when I was looking for my induction system. I posted a thread like this one asking which air intake system would be the best. So when the feedback I got was 90% lid and FTRA or SSRA and since many of the people telling me this had much more knowledge on the subject than I and were making much more power I figured they knew what was up. As to you not "seeing any data that compared the Volant Vs FTRA & SSRA " try searching, theres about a thousand threads debating this and the majority is overwhelmingly in favor of FTRA and SSRA.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:46 PM
On The Tree

what is ftra and ssra? and I thought I was good at acronyms.

I have the Volant on my Z28. You can hear the air being sucked in, especially during cold morning start ups when the air is cool and dense. Its pretty cool.

I am actually looking to get the Ultra Z hood as the Trans Am hood design is emulated. I think Volant is good and looks bad ***. it has rubber sealing on top to seal to the hood.

If you have direct air flow to it like on a TA, its like shooting in direct horsepower. My tuner who saw the lid when deleting my 02's due to LT's and said getting the Ultra Z hood would probably add hp due a **** load more air getting in.

A dyno wont really tell you, I dont think because air rushing in at 80 mph is different than those fans they use at dyno's for cooling and slight air moving purposes.

A volant is not the typical cold air you find, only the lid is. I think a TA would benefit. I dont even have a good hood and think Im gaining hp.

I see people getting pretty "excited" on here, each car is so different, you cant compare a whole or everything. Not intending to offend anyone, the challenge is good though in theory because you are politely strengthening one's argument somewhere.

Just my .02, I think you know that each item has its benefits per subject on a particular application...if that makes sense. ( I like my volant, it came with the car). An SS should benefit as well I'd think?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Someone needs to do some testing on the K/N FIPK, the Volant and other simmilar air intakes and compare the flow numbers or vacuum/restriction within the filter housing, this could also be done with the air lid. And also measure the temps at during operating and idle/stand still at both above the core supt. and in front of the radiator.

This would eliminate all the BS and give some real world conclusion to the long time arguement.

The only arguement left would be what set up offers more of a ram affect...
that could be measured also.

I dont understand why any of the manufacturers or magazines havnt done any testing. If they have why dont the advertise there findings?
Old 12-13-2007, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^ FTRA and SSRA are both ram air applications which work with a lid. They pull air from under the nose of the car. They are very similar to the SLP flowpack which also comes with undercar ram air.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhosNXT
^^ FTRA and SSRA are both ram air applications which work with a lid. They pull air from under the nose of the car. They are very similar to the SLP flowpack which also comes with undercar ram air.
I agree there is a positive air pocket in front of the radiator and its a great place to draw air from. My question would be is that a better place to draw air from than the nose of the hood "WS6 for example"? Both locations rely on vehicle speed to create the ram affect.

Then you have to figure out if the factory sized filter and housing/outlet of the air lid is more efficient in air flow than the Volant or K/N FIPK set up.

I would think the hood would have an advantage on temps?
The heat radiating off the street that can be hot enough to fry an egg during the summer.

I wish someone had some real world numbers to compare all air intake designs. Instead all we have is a comparo of aftermarket lids and zero information on how they compare with other aftermarket set ups.

Last edited by Jeremiah; 12-13-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

k&n fipk sucks
I had it on my car and it worked great when it was cold but once the motor was warmed up it ran no better than my stock setup. Now i have the valant setup. Ran .15 fast in the 1/4 over k&n .2 over stock.

Also its kinda hard to dyno ram air kits since they really dont start showing there power till 50-60mph You would almost need a wind tunnel and dyno to figure out witch one was better. wind tunnel would have to pick up speed as fast as your car is going on the dyno.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the volant about 4 years ago and I hated the fact that the base of it didnt support the radiator like it should, very poor quality IMO I sold it for $110 so I could get a lid. Not my choice.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jt76
does anyone have a picture of a Volant installed on a TA?

here's some pics i saved from other members cars...

and here's Nytmare's car with the modified Volant...

Old 12-14-2007, 12:36 AM
On The Tree

ill get a pic of mine tomorrow...can someone give me a step by step on how to post in actual thread...that last time I tried, for some reason I couldn't.
thanks