Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 heads - weld chambers?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 08:48 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default L92 heads - weld chambers?

I know this sounds stupid to the younger guys on here, but the real racers will know that it's actually normal.

I need some heads for my 408, and I'd love to run L92s. But I have dished pistons (15cc) so I'd have to have L92s with like a 58cc chamber to get the compression I want. I know that the old school guys would weld in chambers like it was no big deal. Does it sound feasible to do this with the L92 heads? I have a local friend who can weld them in, and I considered having him weld the crap out of them then send them off for CNC work even.

Basically, any ideas on making some L92s have small chambers?
Old 12-30-2007, 09:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say it would be kinda tough, but possible. Those valves are HUGE! Got a set from santa and all Im gonna do is polish em a little. They really dont need much out of the box.

What is the comp that you want? and what gasket, Stroke, etc.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

Those are details already handled. I asked about chamber size.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

You'll probably spend enough working on L92s that you could just get some AFR 225. That way you don't have to worry about a new intake.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, to answer your question (something that other people on this forum don't always like to do...instead suggesting stuff you don't care about)...I don't see why you can't do it.

In the picture I attached you can clearly see that the L92 chamber has a somewhat oddball shape...sorta like a butterfly. Seems kinda weird when you're looking for an efficient burn to have seperate pockets like that...though I'm sure GM knows a lot of things I don't know about how a flame propagates from a spark plug.

Anyways...I'd think about filling in those pockets to the sides of the plug some...you could probably do enough to allow you to round off the square boss behind the plug and maybe unshroud the valves a bit, yet still get to the CC's you want to get to...plus L92 castings are cheap enough that it's not the end of the world if it doesn't work out...whereas when working with AFR's or something, the pricetag for a big mistake is a lot higher.

Please post pics up if you do weld and CNC a set.

Oh, I got this pic from the GM High Tech Performance website...just in case anyone's curious where it came from.
Attached Thumbnails L92 heads - weld chambers?-l92chamber.jpg  
Old 12-30-2007, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

Just curious, what exactly does it mean to weld in chambers?
Old 12-30-2007, 03:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
You'll probably spend enough working on L92s that you could just get some AFR 225. That way you don't have to worry about a new intake.
If you read my sig, I still have an LS6 intake. So yes, I'd still have to get a new intake since it needs something bigger. That's another advantage of the L92s: the L76 intake might fall of early, but not before making great power.

Originally Posted by NateLS1
Just curious, what exactly does it mean to weld in chambers?
Fill in the chambers with weld so that it reduces volume, and can be re-shaped.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm no expert but this thread talks about the problems that happened when a head was welded, see post #30:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ed+heat&page=2

"
This situation (while unrelated to piston to valve clearance) in our opinion qualifies as the third example above due to Xyz's decision to extensively weld EVERY water hole in the deck in an effort to improve its integrity. Unfortunately doing so will usually produce results 180 degrees of what was intended (essentially making things worse) UNLESS you re-heat treat the entire cylinder head to restore its strength/hardness as well as relieve the stress from all the welding that gets generated from the extreme localized heat during the process (there are a couple of different ways to accomplish that....vibratory is the most common).
"
Old 12-30-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Well, to answer your question (something that other people on this forum don't always like to do...instead suggesting stuff you don't care about)

....whereas when working with AFR's or something, the pricetag for a big mistake is a lot higher.
Yeah, lets talk him into ******* up some heads because he built a motor that isn't what he wants anymore. That way we know not to do it later. And just so you know I was talking about just buying the AFRs and not messing them up.

Originally Posted by N4cer
If you read my sig, I still have an LS6 intake. So yes, I'd still have to get a new intake since it needs something bigger. That's another advantage of the L92s: the L76 intake might fall of early, but not before making great power.

'00 Camaro SS pewter M6 -> 4L80e swap done
Self-built 408ci, Livernois Heads stage 2, boat cam (248/258 .648/.648), Yank PY3600 Stall, built 9"
Uh, i did read your sig to try and see what intake you had. Maybe you need to read your sig and see that it doesn't say anything about an intake. I figured that since you had a 408 w/ ported heads and a huge cam that you would have been smart enough to put a decent intake on it.

I'm sorry I tried to help here.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:22 PM
10 Second Club

Smart enough? You're a real retard. It had nothing to do with smarts, and I didn't realize I didn't have the intake listed in there. If anyone else wants to know the story, fine I'll tell why it has what it has. Rich boy JohnCR96Z, since you have the money to put every part on that you want, buy a plane ticked and fly your smart mouth up here to Ashland, Kentucky. Or you're probably all internet talk. *****. We'll see what you do. But you're of no help and don't know anything about this, so please find your way out of this thread. You're just another internet mouth.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Or maybe I just put together **** that works and not try to half *** some **** to fit my needs. I would ask your story but I really don't care, not to mention that fact that I already know. You put together some junk and now it don't run as good as your 224 setup, now after reading some other junk (probably on LS1tech) you think different heads are gonna cure your shitty motor.

And if you get any better advice than mine I'll be surprised. I may be speaking from experience, ever thought of that? And let me tell you, me flying out there and kicking your *** isn't gonna make your **** any faster either. Talk about an internet mouth, you need to look in the mirror.

Jon
Old 12-30-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Second Club

You still aren't stepping up bud. And no, you're way off on the story. This is a build in progress, with plans as it goes. What plans? It doesn't matter. The point is that people have been welding chambers for years with good results and I was hoping that someone with experience would do something. Seriously bud, you're not adding anything helpful. Just have some couth and step out. Have a good one little boy. Bye now. Stay scared, big talker.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Dude, seriously. The point is if you can pull this **** off for less money than you can buy some AFRs it won't be by much and you'll still have a way inferior head. You say the plans don't matter and you wouldn't give your engine specs to the other guy that asked, that **** might make some kinda of difference in what you're going after here.

What's your desired compression? Gasket thickness? Deck Height? Have you considered shaving the heads/ running a thinner head gasket. Even if you have all of this in the bag, putting it out there would at least keep people like me from wasting your time.

Lastly, you're putting your faith in the L76 intake. That's just an LS2 intake that fits L92 heads. The reason people are using is because it's the only thing out there. You're best bet there would be waiting for the L92 FAST. Oh, I forgot not everybody is as rich as I am, huh? "Real racers", as you put it, would do whats gonna be best for their goals, even if it meant waiting a few paychecks to get it right.

Oh, yeah, almost forgot. You should also check which forum you posted this in. You might have gotten better results in the one thats for L92 ****.

Jon

Edit: just to be fair - AFRs are only for reference, you might also consider one of the other brands of premium heads.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:35 PM
10 Second Club

The point is that I have done the math on my compression, and to finish with my desired compression and quench, I need a 58cc chamber but will accept a 59cc chamber. That's it. That's what brings this up. The rest I have measured and planned and is irrelevant. This is about what route to take to get relatively cheap heads that will still be able to be made 58cc. That is the current plan. I won't spend $2k on heads when I plan to go forced induction in a year or so. Why would I spend over $2k on the heads when I can go FI for under $3500? That's why man. Seriously now we've got it out there and it all can make sense. So I'm thinking just going with some milled Dart 225s and may even put a single plane on it to match up my huge cam. Or check with a head porter on just making my current heads a stage 3.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

1. So you're shooting for ~11:1 cr for a forced induction motor. Hmmm, ok.

2. cheap heads, and not spending 2k. Let's see complete L92s= ~$800. CNC porting to fix where you "welded the crap out of them" = $(no telling). You probably haven't checked either. I'm sure you could easily blow a grand here.

3. Why would you want high priced heads for forced induction? That's a good question, probably because of the extra deck thickness. I'm sure the stock casting of the L92 with the heat cycles of welding the crap out of the chambers will make a good mating surface for your head gaskets on a boosted application, but you've done your math.

4. Dart 225s, well you might be starting to see the light. Single plain, maybe. You might want to do some research on this before committing. Porting current heads even seems reasonable. Was your cam ground with forced induction in mind?

5. Glad I could help you. It's been fun.

Jon

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 12-31-2007 at 12:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

No, dude. This is how it will be on the NA build. When I go FI I'll swap the cam and the heads. Stock 317 castings have made well over 800hp reliably on FI cars. That's no problem. Been done before and will be done again.

See, you're making HUGE jumps in logic by assuming that because I want it to run good NA now that I'm not changing things later. Either help or don't. Don't just get on to argue. You say you're glad you could help. You still haven't offered any help, "Jon".
Old 12-30-2007, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, ain't nobody else jumping in to help you here. Maybe they fell like, I'm doing a good enough job.

I can't offer you any help as far as welding the chambers. I wasn't trying to. I was trying to help you to not throw you're damn money away.

WARNING: more assumptions based on given known facts below.

You're changing heads because you want it to run good N/A. Does that mean it doesn't run good now?
If so, then leave it alone and focus on the F/I build. Just spend on getting the F/I on their a little earlier.

If not, then you may have other problems. It should run pretty good even if it is low compression. Good enough for your wife to drive to the mall? Maybe

Or it runs fine just not to potential due to no blower. Well, get the damn blower on there or just buy a cheap nitrous kit for the time being, to play around with.

Jon

Edit: Just want to add something else if you're just gonna swap the **** back in when you get a blower. Then, if you were to take my advice and get premium heads, you could just sell them. Even if you lost a little money, it wouldn't be as much as what you wasted on the L92s. And ain't nobody gonna buy some L92s that you fucked up. I maybe be wrong here too though, because I really don't know what you want. I guess that makes 2 of us, huh?

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 12-31-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by massls1guy
I'm no expert but this thread talks about the problems that happened when a head was welded, see post #30:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ed+heat&page=2

"
This situation (while unrelated to piston to valve clearance) in our opinion qualifies as the third example above due to Xyz's decision to extensively weld EVERY water hole in the deck in an effort to improve its integrity. Unfortunately doing so will usually produce results 180 degrees of what was intended (essentially making things worse) UNLESS you re-heat treat the entire cylinder head to restore its strength/hardness as well as relieve the stress from all the welding that gets generated from the extreme localized heat during the process (there are a couple of different ways to accomplish that....vibratory is the most common).
"
no comments on my post? let's all get along
Old 12-31-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Junkie

your post sucks

Its the only really informative post in the thread. So, of course, it was ignored.

Last edited by JonCR96Z; 12-31-2007 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

More tech, less fighting.

If you have technical information to post, start a new thread.

Quick Reply: L92 heads - weld chambers?