Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 z28 with ls6 swap reading low oil pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 z28 with ls6 swap reading low oil pressure?

My friend did a ls6 motor swap in his camaro with forged internals and a 383 stroker kit, but it is reading low oil pressure in his car on the factory oil pressure gauge. He reused the ls1 oil pressure sensor and is reading low around 20 psi or lower at idle and reads higher when he hits the gas like its an lt1. He says its because the ls6 block needs an ls6 sensor and the wiring wont match the F bodies harness. He took it to the shop that built the motor and they hooked up a mechanical gauge and it reads good oil pressure, FROM what they say. Do you think the ls1 sensor is causing it to read low oil pressure? or could it be a bad oil pressure sensor or sending unit damaged whiles doing the motor swap. By the way the new motor has over 1500 miles and is running fine.

Last edited by ls1amit; 01-09-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

The sensors are the same. And even if they weren't, 30 psi in one engine is the same as 30 psi in another engine. If the mechanical gauge gave a higher reading, either the press transmitter or the gauge are bad.

Re'
Old 01-08-2008, 06:14 AM
TECH Resident

i would check the sensor and make sure it was cracked during the removal of the ls1 intake
Old 01-09-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yea well im not too sure if i was clear in my post. But it has an actual ls6 motor swap and I failed to mention this as well its a 383 stroker with a 224/227 cam, ls6 heads and high compression pistons. I am hoping it is a messed up sensor. Is there any warning signs from ear that I would hear if this motor acutaly has low oil pressure? I am going to hook it up to a mechanical gauge hopefully this weekend. But if the in car factory oil gauge is reading low oil pressure and spikes when I hit the gas to about 30-40 psi could it be a bad oil pressure sensor or sending unit and are those the only two things that could be giving me an incorrect reading? Thanks for the help guys- Amit