Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Gasket and a few more

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket and a few more

Ok im going to be doing my cam swap very soon and just need to get some opinions from folks on how to finish the build up.

All this going into a 1998 A4 Ls1 that has already full bolt ons already.

I have a 224, 224 cam with SDPC springs. I also have new oil pump timing chain and what not going on as well. I will be ditching the 98 style heads and going with a set of 00 stock heads. I dont have the coin to have these ported or anything at this time but im going to change to LS7 lifters as a little extra insurance. My thing is what gasket to go with. Graphite or MLS and what thickness? Ill be adding a 75 to 150 shot of dry nitrous as well. Harris speed works kit. Any help would be great. Thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You would likely have less of a chance for problems with the stock gasket. You could go with a thinner (.040) gasket but it will be less forgiving. If the block and head surfaces are not perfect you're prone to failure. On the other hand, nitrous likes compression.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do end up picking up the Cometic .040s, get some copper gasket spray and shoot both sides of the gasket to make a better sealing surface. I think the stock GM MLS gasket is .051. Going smaller will bump up the compression slighty.