Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordered jet hot's..should I order poly motor mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ordered jet hot's..should I order poly motor mount?

Ordered jet hot's..should I order poly motor mount?
First off...I cant stand banging and vibration.
I know from working with my DS loop that my motor and exhaust moves about 1" under WOT load. I only have 38k on the car. Should I change the motor mount while I have the headers off to avoid banging? Will this cause excessive vibration instead?
I am really trying to avoid the problem before it starts because jacking my car up and down traing to get banging to stop is reallt a PITA. I had to do this with the DS loop which is sitting on the floor in the garage now becuase I couldnt get it to stop hitting the Y pipe. Maybe my new y pipe will clear it....

I just want to take my time do the install right then be done with it.javascript:void(0)
'

Thanks
Old 07-16-2003, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Ordered jet hot's..should I order poly motor mount?

I plan on doing the exact same thing. I just ordered headers and Poly motor mounts. I've gotta think it's a snap to do them with the exhaust out of the car. I say go for it! $50? how can you go wrong? I'm sure there will be a minor increase in vibration, but it depends on your cam.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May have to remove the alternator, from what I've read, but yes, at least your right there.
Old 07-16-2003, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Persoanlly, you'd be an idiot not to. I ended up doing the install after I did the headers, and it took me 2 days of PITA work to get just the driver's side in. It would be so easy with the headers off.

No more banging, and LESS interior vibration. You cannot go wrong. 2nd best mod since my Yank3000.

Dope
Old 07-16-2003, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK. Yall talked me into it. Just a few stupid questions...
I did search on this a while back so excuse me if I overlap or just ignore me if it pisses u off..
Say I have my car way high up on jack stands from the manifold removal, When I try and raise my motor to do the mount intall with the whole car try to heave upward? Which one do I need to do? I think I only need to do one mount right?
Old 07-16-2003, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You don't have to jack the car up high to get the manifolds out (although it can be handy). It's for getting the headers in. I'd remove the manifolds with the car low and do the motor mount then. THEN jack up the car high and put the headers in.

To lift the motor I used a big piece of wood (to spread out the load) and a small bottle jack. Lifted from the oil pan. Worked fine.

Dope