Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loudmouth Exhaust Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loudmouth Exhaust Question

OK so I have the LM 2 system on my car and I recently posted a thread stating that it wasnt loud it sounds like a regular exhaust system, I even had some friends tell me at WOT its not as loud as it should be, my question is this have any of you had this problem I had a local dealership inspect my cats and they said they are fine and working I have had the exhaust on my car for 4 years and have 103k miles on my car , another thing I notice sometimes is if I punch it and then let off there is a couple of loud popping noises coming from what I would say is around where the resonator is? Anybody have this problem or know how to fix it
Old 03-05-2008, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

You have stock exhaust manifolds, cats and y-pipe? With those stock parts even the LM1 won't be extremely loud. Headers and a y-pipe without cats will make the LM2 pretty darn loud at WOT.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dave 96TA
You have stock exhaust manifolds, cats and y-pipe? With those stock parts even the LM1 won't be extremely loud. Headers and a y-pipe without cats will make the LM2 pretty darn loud at WOT.
I know having the stock manifolds cats and y pipe still keep alot of the loudness out what I am saying is I can tell that something is keeping my lm2 from what I am used to someone told me there is a chance that the resonator might have cracked and thats the reason for the backpressure and popping sound but I havent crawled under it yet to inspect it myself
Old 03-05-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Regular

I had a LM1 on my T/A for years and even with stock manifolds and cats it popped. I assume the LM2 does it too.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dave 96TA
I had a LM1 on my T/A for years and even with stock manifolds and cats it popped. I assume the LM2 does it too.
It pops occasionally but once I noticed that it seemed quieter it pops 10x as much as it did which is why I was wondering if there could be something wrong with it
Old 03-05-2008, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

I have Lt's o/r Y and lm2s, mine doesnt pop whatsoever! it did on my mustang quite a bit, but the camaro has a very smooth sound! even with the LT's and o/r Y mine isnt as loud as i thought!

could it be possible that its in your head, maybe your just gettin used to it and it doesnt seem as loud as it used to be?
Old 03-05-2008, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blown03mustang
I have Lt's o/r Y and lm2s, mine doesnt pop whatsoever! it did on my mustang quite a bit, but the camaro has a very smooth sound! even with the LT's and o/r Y mine isnt as loud as i thought!

could it be possible that its in your head, maybe your just gettin used to it and it doesnt seem as loud as it used to be?
Yea I thought that cuz I was sick when I noticed it but I am all cleared up and I might be just getting used to it but there is something about the passenger side sound inside that doesnt match up I will have to take another clip of the exhaust and compare it to the one I made a while back I guess that would be a test to help decide if its in my head
Old 03-05-2008, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99transformula
Yea I thought that cuz I was sick when I noticed it but I am all cleared up and I might be just getting used to it but there is something about the passenger side sound inside that doesnt match up I will have to take another clip of the exhaust and compare it to the one I made a while back I guess that would be a test to help decide if its in my head
i had lm2s on my mustang, honestly when i first got it, i thought it was too loud, after a few months it didnt bother me and about the time i sold it, i thought it had quieted up some, until the guy that bought it drove by my work the other day and i realized how loud it really was! i think its all in your head. as long as you have no leaks ( which is a regular occurance w/ the LM catbacks ) then it shouldnt sound any different. take the resonators off and check to see if they are in good shape
Old 03-05-2008, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

The LoudmouthI on my old Z/28 was pretty loud. You could swap out the bullet resonator from the LMII for the LMI shotgun resonator, but I really don't think you will like it. Mine popped a lot on deceleration also. I've read a little bit about it, and I believe it has something to do with the restrictive stock y-pipe and the way the LM system flows. I was reading a very interesting thread by Patrick G on how to get 500+ RWHP on a H/C combo and he had made some very interesting points about the stock exhaust compared to available aftermarket components.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

my stock exhaust pops sometimes =X
Old 03-05-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when you say pop do you mean that as like a backfire or a pop from extreme heat? My trans am would make a pop alot when I had my cats on just because the cats were so hot. Mine were not plugged either because they were just put on under warranty..
Old 03-06-2008, 03:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

when u bring it above like 3k and let off it goes pop pop pop as the rpms come down. im not sure what causes it. that whole exhaust is coming out ;D
Old 03-06-2008, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rk_2000_Z/28
The LoudmouthI on my old Z/28 was pretty loud. You could swap out the bullet resonator from the LMII for the LMI shotgun resonator, but I really don't think you will like it. Mine popped a lot on deceleration also. I've read a little bit about it, and I believe it has something to do with the restrictive stock y-pipe and the way the LM system flows. I was reading a very interesting thread by Patrick G on how to get 500+ RWHP on a H/C combo and he had made some very interesting points about the stock exhaust compared to available aftermarket components.
I already swapped it silly lol I love the bullet style resonator and the loudness it brings
Old 03-07-2008, 01:50 AM
Teching In

I have Lts, and tps true duals. When i let off the gas sometimes it makes a small popin noise. When i was runnin the stock y pipe with no exhaust, when my car was cold it would back fire some. Maybe you have a small crack, or something open. It could also just be in your head, i set off car alarms everywhere i go, yet i still want it louder.