Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

true dual exhaust hangers..

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default true dual exhaust hangers..

i am getting my true duals on this coming week and i am trying to figure out what to use for hangers. Those of you who do have true duals exactly what did you use and how and where.. i have a x pipe and plan on using 3 pipe all the way back to the mufflers.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Default Re: true dual exhaust hangers..

Also i am wondering if there is a certain spot that the x pipe needs to be, is it better for it to be closer to the headers or does it matter and also i have SLP headers and the left side angles out more then the right side, should the pipe coming off the header to the x pipe be the same length?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:20 AM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My mufflers end right before the axles. We simply put a bolt through the floor pan of the rear sets. Put a jam nut on there and then used a standard flex hanger welded to the clamp on the exhaust and put the metal strap onto the bolt. To drill the hole put the hanger where it needs to be, then mark and drill from the bottom.

The X is only going to want to be in one spot to get the most ground clearance. Keep it somewhere around the tunnel brace and you should have plenty of room.
Old 07-20-2003, 07:50 PM
Launching!

ok so.......... do what???
Old 07-20-2003, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

When I got my duals done I did what DERTY did. It didn't even last trip home (not to say its the wrong way or it didn't work for DERTY). I ended up welding the hanger bracket to the floor pan. Make sure you pull up the carpet if you do that though, or poof! You'll be burning more than rubber.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:27 PM
The Bull

Oh yeah, lock nuts. Not the nylon kind, but the ones that are crimped on the ends. That will keep that from ever happening! Since my hanger is welded to the clamp, I'd never get it out if it were welded to the floorpan.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:15 AM
Launching!

so what size and length bolts did you use and also did you have the bolt stick out pointing to the rear or straight down?
Old 07-21-2003, 10:20 AM
The Bull

Bolt points to the rear and slightly down, more like perpendicular to the floor pan wherever you drill. You need probably 1-1/2 inches of bolt, a washer on both sides, a jam nut, followed by the hanger and then washer and lock nut. You want whatever diameter bolt fits your exhaust hanger. Mine are 5/16, others can be as big as 3/8.