Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok guys I'm sorta new the the whole "Catch can" thing do I need it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok guys I'm sorta new the the whole "Catch can" thing do I need it?

I unplugged the air system and left the egr and pcv system alone I burned liked 2 quarts of oil for some reason i guess my rings are shot because it's got 90,000 on the clock and I havent been easy on it either. What is a catch can and where does it go?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh and why do guys use a catch can?
Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned

A catchcan "catches" oil in the PCV system that normally would have gone back into intake. Causing a gunk build up inside.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take your lid/maf off. Feel the back of your throttle body blade. If theirs oil on the back of it then the catch can will keep the oil from getting in the intake. If it's dry, you dont need it.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Banned

Heres the problem with hoses hanging near the ground & plugging your vacuum source. When at speed, one hose will develop negative pressure, and the other positive as the hose has a venturi effect when air is moving past it. What happens then is you are sucking up dirt, sand, water, etc. directly into your valve cover & into the motor internals. I suspect they have no filter on them, correct? Also, if you are not pulling metered vacuum at idle & low RPM's the harmfull vapors that are in your crankcase cannot be pulled totally out...only pressure vents so all the unburnt fuel, caustic gasses from blow-by, & moisture will re-condense in your crankcase after the motor cools & contaminate the oil as well as corode internal parts (look at the links in another thread on bearings & see the damage just the unfiltered dust causes). A proper PCV system needs a fresh air source that is filtered, (on the stock OEM setup it is drawn from in front of the throttle body & the main air filer cleans the air pulled) and a vacum source that is metered & valved, such as the PCV valve on a LS1 or the fixed orfice & baffle system in the vally cover of the LS6 & LS2/3/7 design. The problem with the OEM systems on our vettes is it allows oil vapors to be pulled into the intake & robs power & contributes to detonation. The only proper way to correct this w/out sacrificing your engine to premature wear (I have seen motor come in that look like dirt was poured right into the crankcase & no internal part not showing advanced wear & failure from the hoses dangling unfiltered to the ground. Those that have this setup just have to look closly at your oil the next time you change it to see how dark it now comes out compared to when you had the stock system in place) is to modify the system to remove as much of the oil & harmful vapors from the PCV lines before the mist is pulled into the intake. So the most effective mod for NA motors is to add the proper catch can system AND a PCV valve inline to control the amount of vacum pulled & prevent back-flow of the vapors.

The catch can must be of a material that disipates heat effectively, and that eliminates plastic. Auminum or steel are the 2 best. 2nd, the can must be baffeled in such a way as it disperses the vapors to make contact with as much of the cooler outer surface of the can to allow the vapors & oil to condense into droplets that are collected in the bottom of the can. Now 2 forms of oil come through the system....a mist from the fast movong internals in the engine which is pretty easy to trap, and the vapors from the high heat which need the cooler surface area to condense.
So the can has to be large enough to be effective & most I see in use are far to small, allthough there are several good ones on the market. Then the outlet of the can must be located as far up & away from the inlet to prevent vapors from being pulled through before having a chance to cool & condense. You then need a PCV valve to control the amount of vacuum.

(this setup uses a perforated down tube to disperse the vapors as completly as possible for contact on the cooler surface & is a 1 qt capacity)

If you have a stroker, big cube build, or run at extended high RPMs you should also add the filtered breather as some have mentioned above (easiest is as an oil fill cap mod) and this will allow a good volume of filtered fresh air in at low RPMs and allow venting of crancase pressure at high RPMs. On a FI application it gets just a little more complicated but the design is very similar.

Shown below is on a Magnacharger application.

So what you have accomplished is a near total elimination of any oil getting into the intake, proper ventalation & breathing, and not subjecting your babies motor to a slow horrible premature death from unfiltered ventalation.

Hope this helps :thumbsup: $69 plus $15 S&H. Filter is $12 extra or $19 with it bonded to a cap. Add $35 for powder coated in your choice of colors. Very detailed instructions & pics.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

How are the Thunder Racing catch cans? They are 95 bucks and probably more expensive than most, but I don't mind dishing out the extra bucks if its a well built setup.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Would need to take it apart & see the design to know, it may work well also. I do know that the most effective one we have tested is ours, and it is only $69 w/bracket, bolts, hose, etc.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Internet Mechanic

on my BONE stock 02 LS1 w/ 30 k on the clock, no oil, bone dry, added headers and cat back w/ lid now I got oil. The Catch can solved it.

Quick Reply: Ok guys I'm sorta new the the whole "Catch can" thing do I need it?