Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

asp installed, Now I have oil at the front behind the pulley

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default asp installed, Now I have oil at the front behind the pulley

Heya all, OK a month or two ago I installed the asp pulley on my 02 Z-28, Today I get the oil changed and after it's all done this dude comes out and says he noticed I have the asp and noticed that its leaking oil behind the pulley, he was cool cause he didn't want to void the warrenty on the motor, So what gives, is the pulley fuggen up the front bearring or is it loose or something? Anyone ever deal with this before?
Thanks all
Old 07-23-2003, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: asp installed, Now I have oil at the front behind the pulley

when u installed the pulley did u leave the front cover really so the seal would sit right? then tighten the front cover after the pulley was set on the crank?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:34 PM
Teching In

when u installed the pulley did u leave the front cover really so the seal would sit right? then tighten the front cover after the pulley was set on the crank?
Sorry I don't get it, the front cover of what? The mechanic mentioned I should tighten up the bolt on the pulley? do yaz think that might end the oil leaking out?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

the cover loose, I think he meant to say. I did notice mine doesn't leak, but the outer lip of the seal looks a bit rolled over. When I get to it, I will redo it.. just keep an eye on it
Old 07-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Restricted User

Steve, not sure how many miles you have logged since install, but I had the same problem. Some people say to leave the timing set cover loose others say dont, doesnt matter that much, but did you use a new seal, or did you just put the pulley on? If its the old seal, you may have cut the seal during install, especially if you didnt oil it up good. The cover being loosely installed allows the cover to center on the pulley, might make it leak else where but go figure. NEway, I put oh....900+ miles on mine and the leak stopped. Yes, it has oil in it. But when first installed, there was a nice amount of fluid being lost, then it tapered off to nothing. Now it is nice and dry around there. If you have a fair amount of miles and still leaking you will need to pull the water pump (get new gaskets), pulley (get a new GM bolt or reuseable ARP) and then the front cover, replace the seal and reinstall in reverse order. The seal needs to be lubed before install to prevent dry scraping and damage.

Good-luck.

Charlie.
Old 07-23-2003, 07:48 PM
Teching In

OK call me stupid but what cover, i was just under the car and didnt notice a cover behind the pulley?
Old 07-23-2003, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Oh ok i get it, Hmm i did the install on May 7th,I pulled the old one off lubed her up and installed the asp, never saw anything on the garage floor ever, so I pray its only a light issue either way I will keep an eye open for conditions worsening (i hope not) Thanks for the help and mental support :-), as always I love this forum!
Thanks Guys!
Old 07-23-2003, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK call me stupid but what cover,
I have no idea what there talking about either, here's a link to the pulley install. www.ebbsnflows.cz28.com/photo4.html

Al
Old 07-23-2003, 11:25 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

The front timing cover has a seal specifically for the pulley. The seal kinda breaks in and form fits to whatever pulley you install...if you didn't change it out when putting on the ASP pulley, you run the risk of an oil leak from the seal (behind the pulley, pressed into the front engine cover).

Most people dont change it when just doing a pulley swap, and most people are fine. I guess you were one of the unlucky few.
Old 07-23-2003, 11:35 PM
TECH Veteran

I have installed my ASP pulley 3 times over the time I owned it and ever time it has been installed with the cover tight......some 15K mile since the last install (while doing head/cam) and still not a drop of oil....
Old 07-24-2003, 05:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well i guess im not lucky either. i had the same problem. after the cam swap i put on the asp pulley without changing the timing cover crank gasket. well lets just say i had chewed the seal up and oil was splattered underneath the car everywhere. so after throwing stuff and bitchin about it, we pulled the asp pulley pulled the old crank seal and lubed everything up real good made sure there was no burrs anywhere and reinstalled the seal and pulley. i got about 50 miles on it and it seems that the gasket is rolled over a little, and very little oil around the seal. so im crossing my fingers and hoping no more leaks, cause if it leaks, back to ripping the water pump and everything else off! just sharing my experience too....
Old 07-24-2003, 07:25 AM

The GM service manual says to install the seal DRY because it has a teflon coating that wears the the surface caused by the heat on the dry start and thats what makes it seal.. So lubing the seal is your problem.