Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing AIR, black canister removal?

Old 07-23-2003, 10:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing AIR, black canister removal?

I'm taking off the AIR system on the SS and I can't see how the black canister above the driver side valve cover attaches. It has one nut on the back coil pack rail bolt, but I can't see anything else and it isn't coming off. How do you get it off? Without a saws all! lol J/K!
Old 07-23-2003, 11:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Removing AIR, black canister removal?

I think mine just poped off.....just start yanking on it and it will come of.....
Old 07-24-2003, 07:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

John this pic might help. If not shoot me an email I have a better diagram at home. http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImag.../593881LS1.jpg

I have considered doing the same in the future. If you would post your experiences with the removal of the AIR system.
Old 07-24-2003, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

If I remember correctly there is actually a bolt on the back of the block and the bracket slips onto it

Try to reach your hand back there and feel around for it, I think that's what I ended up doing.

Troy
Old 07-24-2003, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think mine just poped off.....just start yanking on it and it will come of.....
exactly. mine broke off when i was removing the hoses from it. the bracket is still there.
Old 07-24-2003, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks fellas! Leave it to GM to put a bolt way on the back side! lol What ya want to bet it has a gallon of loctite on it!

Wayne,
I post the results after I take it all off. I'm waiting on my block off plates to come in to finish tearing it apart. Thanks for the pic!
Old 07-24-2003, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks John. Check your email for a zip file.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Vaccum line question. There is a vaccum line coming from the intake to another piece on the intake with a wiring harness on it. Then another line coming from it to the plastic valve (canister). Do I need to remove the piece with the wiring harness going to it or just the plastic valve the hoses attach to? Thanks fellas!
Old 07-28-2003, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is a vaccum line coming from the intake to another piece on the intake with a wiring harness on it. Then another line coming from it to the plastic valve (canister). Do I need to remove the piece with the wiring harness going to it or just the plastic valve the hoses attach to? Thanks fellas!

So what did you do ?

I'm pulling my A.I.R. off tommorow and have seen alot of people inquire about this vaccum line from the back of the manifold to the plastic valve (canister) and never rally got a clear answer on it .

Mike
Old 07-28-2003, 09:37 PM
dug
Banned

It looks like it clips to the metal bracket. If you unclip it you should be able to move it up.

Follow the hose going to the electrical part and take the part off. And follow the other hose towards the back of the intake. The hose connects to a cylindrical disk with another tube connecting to the other side. THis tube connects to a Tconnector that goes into the back of the intake. Remove the T and plug the other tube into the intake.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Follow the hose going to the electrical part and take the part off. And follow the other hose towards the back of the intake. The hose connects to a cylindrical disk with another tube connecting to the other side. THis tube connects to a Tconnector that goes into the back of the intake. Remove the T and plug the other tube into the intake.

Hope this makes sense
Well reading it, and it sounds a little confusing.

It seems to me that the only vaccum hose that needs to be delt with is the vaccum hose that comes from the top of the plastic valve(canister)to the electrical gadet that is clipped to the intake.
So if I just leave the electrial gadget in place the only thing I'll have to do is plug the back of the electrial gadet.

Am I correct in this thinking ?
Old 07-29-2003, 04:14 PM
dug
Banned

I removed the gadget. Follow the hose from gadget to the back of the intake and youll see what I mean.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LOL....I can't get my hands/fingers back there...so I was just going to leave the electrial gadet (what's the advantage of removing it anyway ?) and plug up the back of it....that way I can remove the plastic valve (canister) .
Old 07-29-2003, 04:28 PM
dug
Banned

Thatll work. I removed mine to save weight and clutter. Yeah the few ounces make a difference. Just kiddin.

Yeah its kinda hard to reach back there to get at it. I removed mine when the intake was off since I had to remove the EGR anyway. THat made it a little easier.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah man no doubt it's hard to get back there especially since I'm no tiny guy (read: I'm fat)

So if I just put a vaccum plug on the back of the electrial gadet then I'll be good to go. Yeah I realize that the electrial gadet must weigh 2~3 oz's but in the intrest of making my life a little eaiser I'll just leave it there and plug it up .
Old 07-30-2003, 08:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bracket the canister is attached to is bolted to the back of the head and a small 10mm stand-off of the coil pack rail. You can remove it from the bracket itself or reach back there with a 15mm wrench and remove the whole thing. BTW, I have a complete 2002 engine sitting in my garage so I can see everything, if you have any other questions. Don't forget to plug the small vacuum line that is also attached.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

I just saw this thread again. I got it off, but I just pulled the canister till it came off. I have really big hands and arms and just couldn't get the bolt on the back of the head. Luckily nothing broke when i pulled it just came unclipped! The only vacuum line that needs to be capped is the one going to the canister. Good luck!

John

Search this Thread