Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I loose my air pump and keep my cats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I loose my air pump and keep my cats?

I saw this posted on LS1.com and just wanted to hear some other opinons.I'd like to keep my cats because it's too loud for my taste and the smell makes me gag.Would I eventually fry the cats? I have FLP'S.[color=red] 98 Z28 Red M6<!--color--></font>
  • TR 224/224 565/565/114
  • FLP stage II heads
  • LS6 intake
  • FLP LT's
  • Bauer TB
  • FTRA
  • ASP Pulley
  • 160 stat
  • Whisper lid/KN
  • FLP Dyno tuned
[color=red] SUSPENSION <!--color--></font> Eibach springs,Hotchkis LCA's,BMR relocation brackets,PHR,STB,Hotchkis sways 36mm front,25mm rear, hotchkis SFC's [color=red] Wheels <!--color--></font> Chrome ZR1's 17x9.5,17x11 Nitto DR's 275/40/17,315/35/17
R.I.P.99TA A4 silver (stock wife's car)(totaled-Blonde driver)
Old 07-29-2003, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Can I loose my air pump and keep my cats?

I don't think it'd be a problem for your cats... the only purpose of the air pump is to lower emissions on startup... once you're at operating temp I don't believe they're even used (the air pump that is)
Old 07-29-2003, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: Can I loose my air pump and keep my cats?

The AIR pump helps to light off the cats quicker. So if you disconnected it, it will take longer to get the cats heated up on cold starts, which could possibly foul them quicker (especially considering the engine runs a bit rich when cold). At least thats in theory, but the effects might be minor so who knows. Personally IMO if the cats are on there might as well just leave the AIR pump as is, its not harming performance any.