Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please Clarify EGR Removal reasons and what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 10:22 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Please Clarify EGR Removal reasons and what to do?

I dont get it...what do you benefit from egr removal??? I'm not 100% sure of what to do either....other than remove codes. tube coming off of passenger header to little solenoid valve to copper tube going to intake???? right???
what does egr do and why will removing it help me please clarify.

p.s.
if I do it...anybody interested in editing off my codes for a few bucks...Kansas City Area...I would take a small road trip if necessary.

Old 07-30-2003, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Please Clarify EGR Removal reasons and what to do?

Doesn't really do a whole lot for you, cleans up engine bay, slight bit of weight reduction. If you haven't cut the EGR pipe protruding into your intake, it may free up some resistance in your intake as well.

As far as EGR's purpose, just hit up google.com and search for EGR, I'm sure there will be many explanations.
Old 07-30-2003, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

No point to remove it. Only causes problems. Doesn't hurt performance in any way. Weight reduction is trivial at best. Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) does just as the name implies. Exhaust gas is inert and therefore does not promote combustion, nor heat. Less heat equals lower combustion temperatures and therefore less oxides of nitrogen (NOx). EGR is not active during WOT. Once again, why bother to remove it? To clean up two hoses?
Old 07-30-2003, 02:12 PM
TECH Resident

Some people, including me, buy an LS6 intake with no easy way to connect the EGR system.

Deleting it is easier...

Tommy
Old 07-30-2003, 04:31 PM
dug
Banned

Some people, including me, buy an LS6 intake with no easy way to connect the EGR system.

Deleting it is easier...

Tommy
Ditto. I wouldnt have botherd with it otherwise. I weighd the EGR AIR hardware. Its 8 pounds all together. If you work on the car a lot it does make things easier.
Old 07-30-2003, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I removed mine to get rid of some of the clutter... between removing EGR and AIR it took maybe 10-15 mins off the time it takes to change spark plugs... plus cleans up the engine bay alot (plus I put the LS6 intake w/no EGR on)
Old 07-30-2003, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 991 Posts

Deleting it is easier...

Tommy
LPE made a fitting to adapt the EGR to the LS6 intake...will look just like an LS1 intake. The fitting is in made out of the same stuff the intake is etc. I used this on my car due to emissions reasons.

EGR doesn't hurt anything performance wise. I agree with Horist in that it looks better with it gone.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:43 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm gonna plug it.....and remove pipes...but let the egr valve still hang on the bracket...I've been reading and some people have had success leaving the pcm believe it is still there....cause the valve is still working. worth a shot I guess.....