LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Generation III External Engine (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine-6/)
-   -   Headers (https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/90489-headers.html)

forurwife 08-01-2003 10:58 AM

Headers

Looking to get headers which one should i go with SLP or the FLP.Should i go with cats or with out.

TEX2KZ28 08-01-2003 11:02 AM

Re: Headers

Out of those two the FLP's. But also consider the Hooker, Jet Hot and Pacesetters with hooker off-road pipe. You can't beat the hp gain for the money.

forurwife 08-01-2003 02:58 PM

is there that big of a diff. in the hp in the two. is it true that the slp is not all that they made it out to be

SouthFL.02.SS 08-01-2003 03:06 PM

Besides performance issues, SLP's hang low. I have to take speed bumps diagonally all the time. :(

forurwife 08-01-2003 03:22 PM

so u get more out of the flps. the slp is not that good and it hangs too low.

SouthFL.02.SS 08-01-2003 03:25 PM

If I had to do it over, I'd get Hookers with a QTP Dual Electric cut-out Y-pipe.

forurwife 08-01-2003 03:32 PM

thanks i guess i will look in to that set up i was leaning more towards the flps cause i had heard some bad things about the slp and alot good about the flps

soundengineer 08-01-2003 03:41 PM

I got hooker headers coming...I've heard that alot of people have to take a dremel and grind down some of the welds on the inside cause hooker welding is a little sloppy..... but thats no big deal....great price...great power...good sound....:burn:

ChazLS12002 08-01-2003 04:36 PM

Whats the difference when running with cats or without??? More HP, Louder???

SouthFL.02.SS 08-01-2003 04:39 PM

Whats the difference when running with cats or without??? More HP, Louder???

Is this a trick question?

First of all there's a legal dilemma one must face. Once faced:
HP will increase w/o cats.
Car will get louder also.

PWRTRIP 08-01-2003 04:42 PM

if you have the $$..consider Kooks or QTP headers

FLESHws6 08-01-2003 09:27 PM

Sloppy weld?... My Hooker SC LT from Summit was in perfect condition, with perfect weld.

pancho 08-01-2003 10:04 PM

slp gave me 25rwhp, dynoproven... so i really don't think that the SLP are bad at all...

soundengineer 08-01-2003 11:55 PM

I've heard that alot of people have to take a dremel and grind down some of the welds on the inside cause hooker welding is a little sloppy.

Sloppy weld?... My Hooker SC LT from Summit was in perfect condition, with perfect weld.

just what I've been reading.....hopefully they show up perfect...like yours :cool:....but I'm prepared for the few bad stories I've read.

99 Black Bird T/A 08-02-2003 05:18 PM

I got hooker headers coming...I've heard that alot of people have to take a dremel and grind down some of the welds on the inside cause hooker welding is a little sloppy..... but thats no big deal....great price...great power...good sound....:burn:

in my case that was true...and

O2 bung misaligned...drill it out...retap

Flange wasn't level...file it down

1/4 inch spot wasn't welded...get coated headers welded up so they won't leak

collectors didn't align properly with Mufflex Y pipe.

Once there installed they are pretty decent.

BTW Mine looked good a first glance...

LS1MONSTER 08-03-2003 03:54 AM

I have SLP longtubes. Haven't dyno'ed yet..but I will in a month or two. All I can is that I sure could feel a big difference after installing them. I'm lowered and they do hang low but it hasn't been a problem for me. I very satisfied with them.