Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks long tube headers.... can you use header wrap on them, or spray on heat coating

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks long tube headers.... can you use header wrap on them, or spray on heat coating

I am looking to keep the underhood temps down a lil, cut down on heat soak of the intkae box, etc. Now, i have Stainless Kooks long tubes. Can i use header wrap on them? I was told by someone that if i wrap them, it can cause them to rust due to the wrap holding moisture onto the pipes as they cool.
I was going to either use header wrap, or perhaps the spray on stuff you can get at pep-boys or whatever. I see guys with turbos use the wrap on the manifolds and on the headers if they have them.
MY questions are...
Will this help? What are the drawbacks (if any) of wrapping or spray coating, or doing both?
Old 05-23-2008, 11:51 AM
11 Second Club

If you are having a under hood heat issue I doubt it's from the stainless headers. I have the second set of stainless Kooks (mine was the first set off the new jig) and I have no issues with excessive heat. It's been over three years now. I would not wrap them.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

i dont have an "issue" so to speak. Just wanted to know if i could keep it even cooler. And wanted to know if wrapping the kooks headers was ok or would damage them in any way.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just take them off and get them coated with ceramic or powder coated, I wouldnt use any "spray on" stuff on a set of a $900+ set of headers

Quick Reply: Kooks long tube headers.... can you use header wrap on them, or spray on heat coating