Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Car Has Been Very Busy!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Car Has Been Very Busy!

Got the poly motor mounts installed.. Wow what a PITA!! That is all i am going to say. But with the stock mounts and cam, my motor was jumping all over the place. Now with the poly mounts motor does not even move at all the car feels soo much better with the poly mounts, now all you can feel is the motor itself, if that makes sense?

Ditched my TDs (3" O/R H and 1 Chambers) for a custom built 3" O/R Y pipe with a flowmaster merge and GMMG c/b.. I have no y pipe banging issues b/c A) i have a custom built Y and B) poly mounts dumdumdum!!! The only thing, around 2300 - 2500 RPMs it is a little raspy...

And i got rid of my stock LS6 clutch, upgraded that to a textralia z-grip.... My clutch was slipping, and my pedal always feel to the floor. My stock flywheel had 4 got hot spots on it, and i thought i would have been on the rivets, but i still had some meat left on it

That is all
Old 06-28-2008, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome man...

I just put some energy suspension mounts on my 98 Z a few days ago. And you're right. They were a PITA! Did you have any issues getting the bolts to go back through the new mounts? I did.
Congrats....

James
Old 06-29-2008, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on man no pics or vids Booooooooo.

We need a sounds clip and pics under the car please.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:51 AM
12 Second Club

+2 on the motor mounts being a pain in the ***! how long did it take you guys? i had issues w/ the bolt on the passenger side. we loosened up the bolts that hold the solid part of the mount to the k member and the bolt that holds the motor to the mount went in pretty nicely.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Tech Resident

Couple questions for ya:

1.) Did you take the headers out to put the motor mounts in? Or did you do it with the exhaust in place?

2.) Can we get some pics of the y-pipe showing clearance, bends, etc...

3.) Sound clips man!
Old 06-29-2008, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would like to hear that GMMG with an ORY that has a Flowmaster merge
Old 06-30-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
Couple questions for ya:

1.) Did you take the headers out to put the motor mounts in? Or did you do it with the exhaust in place?

2.) Can we get some pics of the y-pipe showing clearance, bends, etc...

3.) Sound clips man!

1) We left the LTs in place, let me tell you when you are doing LTs, THAT is the time to do motor mounts!

2) Let me see what i can do about clearance pics, i have been busy should be able to get some Tuesday

3) You know i will get sound clips
Old 06-30-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BerryWS6
I would like to hear that GMMG with an ORY that has a Flowmaster merge
Hey Berry, sounds great at idle, but once you hit the 2300 - 2500 RPM mark it tends to get raspy but i will get some sound clips and pics of the y pipe and flowmaster merge
Old 06-30-2008, 08:15 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
Ditched my TDs (3" O/R H and 1 Chambers) for a custom built 3" O/R Y pipe with a flowmaster merge and GMMG c/b.. The only thing, around 2300 - 2500 RPMs it is a little raspy...
A little raspy? Like a jackhammer, man ... been there ...
Old 06-30-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000NavyZ
+2 on the motor mounts being a pain in the ***! how long did it take you guys? i had issues w/ the bolt on the passenger side. we loosened up the bolts that hold the solid part of the mount to the k member and the bolt that holds the motor to the mount went in pretty nicely.
It took prolly about 8 hours or so, that was with the car being on a lift too! Had to take 2 pry bars and pry the motor while the guy was trying to drive the nut onto the bolt......
Old 06-30-2008, 08:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by RevGTO
A little raspy? Like a jackhammer, man ... been there ...
Yeah i will prolly had a bullet muffler after the merge...
Old 06-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Pontiacerator

I ended up with cats, a powerpack resonator in the I-pipe, and Hooker resonator tips before I got rid of the rasp. I have the FM merge, too. Contrary to popular belief, it alone does not cure rasp.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

I ended up with cats, a powerpack resonator in the I-pipe, and Hooker resonator tips before I got rid of the rasp. I have the FM merge, too. Contrary to popular belief, it alone does not cure rasp.
I was thinking of doing a powerstick too in the I pipe and see how much it cleaned up the sound.... I have the GMMG oval tips, so i am not sure if that is amplifying the sound or not. Would say borla tips quiet it down? And i know the flowmaster merge was 'supposed' to help with rasp, i did not get it for that, i got it b/c the merge is top notch, and merges the gases perfectly! I am tryin to stay away from cats., but we will see
Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah poly mounts are a bitch, or at least installing the last mount in the driver's side. Glad to hear you're happy, waiting for a sound clip!
Old 06-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

poly mounts was s some trouble, i had trouble with the drivers side bolt lining up and going through! we used a pry bar and a hammer to make the bolt go through!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I was thinking of doing a powerstick too in the I pipe and see how much it cleaned up the sound.... I have the GMMG oval tips, so i am not sure if that is amplifying the sound or not. Would say borla tips quiet it down? And i know the flowmaster merge was 'supposed' to help with rasp, i did not get it for that, i got it b/c the merge is top notch, and merges the gases perfectly! I am tryin to stay away from cats., but we will see
Agreed - I got the FM merge for the same reason - it is a perfect design for merging the gases - love it!

A powerstick or powerpack (pack is a little quieter) will help. I followed the advice of Tim at EAD and installed it "against the grain." What's nice about it is that it's a 3.5" piece that with a full unobstructed 3" flow path.

I found out what a huge difference tips make when I followed somebody's advice on here and got the Hooker resonator tips. They were the final touch in eliminating the last bit of rasp. Only the deep tones get through them. They're awesome.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Agreed - I got the FM merge for the same reason - it is a perfect design for merging the gases - love it!

A powerstick or powerpack (pack is a little quieter) will help. I followed the advice of Tim at EAD and installed it "against the grain." What's nice about it is that it's a 3.5" piece that with a full unobstructed 3" flow path.

I found out what a huge difference tips make when I followed somebody's advice on here and got the Hooker resonator tips. They were the final touch in eliminating the last bit of rasp. Only the deep tones get through them. They're awesome.
What do you mean 'against the grain' when installing the powerstick?

I am not sure if i want to give up my GMMG tips.....
Old 06-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Pontiacerator

The inside of the resonator is covered with humps that are like half-domes. They can be installed with the rounded backside of the hump or with the inside face of the dome in the face of the exhaust flow. The latter is "against the grain" because it presents more of an obstacle to the exhaust flow. But because it shears the exhaust pulses better, it is more effective against rasp.
Old 07-01-2008, 07:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

The inside of the resonator is covered with humps that are like half-domes. They can be installed with the rounded backside of the hump or with the inside face of the dome in the face of the exhaust flow. The latter is "against the grain" because it presents more of an obstacle to the exhaust flow. But because it shears the exhaust pulses better, it is more effective against rasp.
Hmmm i may try that. Which one do you have? Which one would you recommend? Powerstick or PowerPack
Old 07-01-2008, 10:12 PM
Pontiacerator

I have the powerpack. They say that the powerpack is "slightly quieter and mellower in tone." So that's the one I thought better suited for dealing with rasp. Here's a link and it shows the inside of it. http://www.eadperformance.com/catalo...a046be2b99fbca

Quick Reply: My Car Has Been Very Busy!