Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MAF screen removal my results, good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MAF screen removal my results, good or bad?

I popped the screen on my A4, heres what I have noted after aprox 20 miles of driving-

1- Service Engine Soon light is on, is this normal? Will it go away by itself or does it have to be cleared?
I dont know anything about LS1 edit or any of that, wish I did.

2- Shifts, before the car shifted good, never slipped but lacked the punch I thought it should have, I have never driven another ls1 car so I dont know if it was normal, it would rarely ever chirp tires on WOT into 2nd.
Now it shifts fast and at the correct points, upshifts and downshifts, spins tires on WOT into 2nd every time, almost like a mild shift kit, is this harmful in any way?
I know a shift kit in a auto actually extends tranny life, I would assume these types of shifts are good, correct me if I'm wrong

3- Acceleration, I was very very suprised by how much you can feel the difference, throttle response is quicker, revs faster and most noticable on WOT bursts

Havent noted any pinging ect, I wish I had the diagnostic tools to check fuel ratio, timing ect.
It feels much stronger
Does this sound like a success or not?
I feel good about it but then again I dont know as much about these cars as most of you, Thanks for any advice

PS also did the free air mod after, wasnt noticable
Old 08-26-2003, 12:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: MAF screen removal my results, good or bad?

I think you're crazy

The MAF sensor does weird things to an A4 tranny. Someone left the conectors off and it make the shifts so much harder. Nonetheless I heard screwing with the MAF sensor on an A4 could potentially lead to a short life span of the tranny. I just left mine in for safe keeping. I suggest you do the same, and get a real shift kit
Old 08-26-2003, 01:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the screen (if done correctly) shouldn't have effected the shift much, if any (none from what I can tell.) You should find out what the DTC is and go from there.
Old 08-30-2003, 06:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I took out the screen on my A4 a while back and hardly noticed a difference. My tires always chirped shifting into second, even with two people in the car (and I weigh 250). It didnt make my ses light come on, so I guess I'm lucky for that.
How exactly does it where out the life of the tranny? and what can be done to avoid this (other than buying a new MAF)?
Old 08-30-2003, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Problem's with the MAF come from porting the MAF or MAF ends, there are signs that with a A4 this could be bad new's. If you talk with the Tech guys from GM, the only reason the screen was placed on the MAF was to keep bugs out of the intake. The clear lid guys see this all the time if they still have there screen in..If you get gains from removing the screen, they are so minimal, most wouldnt notice. I agree that you are crazy but wishfull thinking..