Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jet Hot Y Pipe w/ Cats - Not what I expected

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Jet Hot Y Pipe w/ Cats - Not what I expected

I just received my y-pipe from Jet Hot and I think I have a problem. In Virginia we have to pass a visual emissions inspection (which I'm sure most states have) as well a actual "live" sniffer in the tailpipe test. While I'm sure the cats will pass the sniffer, I don't think they'll pass a visual. What do you guys think?

Here's some pics. They aren't great, but give you an idea. Those round things are the cats:

I'm not bashing Jet-Hot as I ordered this sight unseen and have always been very happy with their products and service, but this doesn't seem like the same Cat y pipe the other sponsors offer. I also e-mailed Todd at Jet Hot to ask him what he thinks, but wanted to hear your guys opinions as well.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Default Re: New Jet Hot Y Pipe w/ Cats - Not what I expected

Technically, no long tube header will pass visual because the cats are relocated never mind the Y pipe. However, if the car checks out good and they are busy will they bother looking? Go when they are really busy...If they do look and see a pair of cats might not be an issue.

Are the black things in that picture the cats? Is the concern the pipe looks like it doesn't have cats when in fact it has cats?

If the little black things are cats, I'm worried now too.

Old 08-27-2003, 08:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Pipe looks like it's set up to allow the rear O2's to plug in too.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got mine yesterday. I do not think I will have to pass a visual test but I may have a problem getting the muffler shop to cut my I pipe to fit my Y pipe. Those things dont really look like cats.
Riddle me this. How do the cats or the orp stay in place with no clamp?
Old 08-27-2003, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

I have no idea how the orp or cats stay in place.

Yes those brown/black things are the cats.

I'll wait for an e-mail from Todd, but I think that this y will not work for anyone who has to pass a visual emissions inspection. Most shops will overlook the headers and cat relocation, but if they look under the car those two brown circles aren't going to pass for cats.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Please post the data when you get it. Thanks.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

Will do. Edited the post w/ pics.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:52 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well you could always bring pictures of the the setup you have shown us and some sort of documentation stating they are legal and maybe that will keep the shop owner from worrying about getting in trouble.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

The problem is with the law
"Any new or used after market catalytic converter installed on a vehicle after December 31, 1987, shall meet and be installed in accordance with specifications established by the Environmental Protection Agency. A catalytic converter so installed shall be identified with a visible, permanent, non-destructible label or stamp which will identify the manufacturer, vehicle application and month and year of manufacture. The label shall be in accordance with the following format:

a. New converters - N/XX/YYYY/ZZZZ
b. Used converters - U/XX/YYYY/ZZZZ
N - New converter designation
U - Used converter designation
XX - Manufacturer code issued by EPA
YYYY - Numerical designation of vehicle application
ZZZZ - Month and year of manufacture (i.e. - 0188 for January, 1988)

There is no sticker of this on the cats included in the kit. Again, I didn't ask so I can't blaim Jet Hot.

Old 08-27-2003, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

well then go to a private place that does inspections like a gas station and pay the guy a couple extra bucks to pass ya. do you really think they are going to look underneath?
btw those are the weirdest looking cats i've seen.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

In Virginia they put the car up on a rack, so looking underneath is pretty easy.

I went to a gas station w/ out the cats. He looked underneath and said nicely, I can't pass you. Get cats and come back and it won't be a problem. So I ordred the Jet Hot set-up and thought it would be like all the other ones out there. It isn't.

I can find someone who is a little on the shady side, but I thought with a Y-pipe cat set-up it would be an easy done deal and would be easy to change back to the ory w/ the removeable cats.

This just might be a set-up that won't work for me. It looks awesome. Great finish and would love to make it work, but don't think it will.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just installed mine tonight w/o cats. The install went pretty smoothly. The hardest part was trying to get my old Mufflex Ypipe off. Anyways the ypipe fits like a glove. The only problem I have right now is the lack of band clamps which Jet Hot had some issues with when shipping these ypipes out. I have contacted them and they will be shipping out 4 additional clamps to those that were shorted clamps.
Where the cats go it just slides right into the expanded part of the ypipe where the little race pipes go. Another words you will not see cats at all with them in or out visually it will look like an ORY. However I think it looks extremely stealthy if you ask me. Hats off to Jet-Hot and gang for designing this ypipe.
Old 08-27-2003, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Where the cats go it just slides right into the expanded part of the ypipe where the little race pipes go. Another words you will not see cats at all with them in or out visually it will look like an ORY.
Jet Hot has create a sweet set up with cats thats worthless to those of us that need cats for visual.

Looks like I'll have to find another solution.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like I'll have to find another solution
FLPs
Old 08-28-2003, 01:23 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder what they flow like, they look like the inside of the metallic RT cats sorta. From what I read the little metallic r/t cats are listed as 'pre-cats' and wont pass for regular cats - but they flow awesome. I'm not sure about that though, read it on a V6 buick site a while back.. Is the little cat part completely covered when installed? If not them little things will be pretty hot..

Thats a pretty unique setup, if they work and flow well its pretty cool. Looks a lot better then the 3" catcos hanging on my y-pipe.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:45 AM
TECH Junkie

There is no way those things will pass a visual. I am trying not to be rude but its almost funny looking at them. It would be real hard to convince an inspector to pass you plus some people may have a problem with taking cash in which case your doubly screwed. Anyways good luck and go with maybe the qtp catted pipe even though it does cost alot more cash.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:50 AM
On The Tree

I already have the QTEC y with the dual cutouts, so I talked to Barry two weeks about getting just the y with the cats. He was backed up with orders, but I'm going to try again. I just don't think the Jet Hot set-up will work. It's to bad, because it is a nice set-up. Would look great under the car, but the 1 time a year I need the cats it will be a pain.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Here's the e-mail I got from Todd at Jet-Hot:

"Rich,

Granted, the laws are likely different in PA vs. VA, but up here the swelled area for the cats was good enough. The inspectors told us that if there was any concern they could have the pipe pulled apart on the spot. We're getting feedback daily on these pipes, and some states are
fine with it and others are expressing similar concerns as you.

The cats themselves have not gone through any official EPA certification that I know of, however they are made by an OE supplier. We just know that they did their job when put on the sniffer. And these cars will not pass the sniffer without cats. I know some guys are ordering these pipes in black from us so it will be less conspicuous, but I don't know
if that helps or not.

Todd"

Like I said, they are a class act and I will continue to do business with them. I'll go by a few inspection stations and get their take before I send them back.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

I think there is a good chance those larger diameter sections will pass a visual inspection, at least the way it's done here in Ohio.

If not, go somehere and have some heat flanges welded or clamped on to look more convincing.

I am more interested in seeing how those little kittens flow. I think Todd has come up with a really nice, competitively priced setup that I'm likely to order. Coated longtubes plus a coated, catted Y, all for under $1K shipped to your door is about the best complete deal out there.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:23 AM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SSLink makes a good point. If you have the shells welded in you should be all set, that will help you pass the visual and those tiny buggers will probaly pass the sniffer.