Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ported TB or BBK 80mm TB and Ported MAF ends or SLP 85mm

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2003, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ported TB or BBK 80mm TB and Ported MAF ends or SLP 85mm

Hey, I just wanted to see if I could get any advice on which TB to use and whether I should keep my stock MAF and get the ported ends or get the SLP 85mm MAF? I have Jet Hot longtubes and ORY, MTI lid, EGR mod, and that's pretty much it for the motor. Any suggestions, keep in mind that I will be doing heads and a cam over the winter. Well which would be best, any help greatly appreciated.

Tony
Old 09-10-2003, 02:56 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Ported TB or BBK 80mm TB and Ported MAF ends or SLP 85mm

Ported stock TB is perfect the BBK 80mm is too big the opening in your intake is only 78mm thats what yours will be ported. And if going to heads and cam I would rec. SLP 85mm MAF it works really good.

Nate
Old 09-10-2003, 04:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw no improvement (and no loss) between a stardard size GMS MAF and an 85mm MAF on my 422ci MTI engine. The restriction is the inlet of the intake manifold and the standard GMS was already bigger than it. As long as your MAF and TB flow at least as much as it, there is no reason to go bigger. If the intake manifold inlet were 85mm, it would make sense to have an 85mm MAF.

A well ported stock throttle body is all you need with the LS1 or LS6 intake manifold.
Old 09-11-2003, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say, port the stock MAF and see how it comes out. I ported my stocker and started to worry about all the talk of ported MAFs leaning out and causing knock.

I bought a SLP MAF and slapped it on,,,I got zilch out of it. I can swap between my ported stocker and the SLP one and I don't see any increase in mph. Wasted my money on the SLP MAF. At least the SLP MAF doesn't hurt power.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

OK great, that sounds good guys, I appreciate the help, but will it matter if I am using the Holley aluminum intake. I am getting that port matched to the heads so I am just wondering if this will make a difference. Please let me know. Thanks.

Tony
Old 09-11-2003, 11:19 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm not "sure" about the Holley but I would "think" you could port it out to 80mm and thus fit the larger BBK TB on there.

I have the BBK on my car and really am happy with it (might be one of the only people in the world who is ). The car seemed to have better throttle response, faster RPM increase, much more top end, and best of all I got it used for $200 (guy wrecked his car). I radiuses the intake lip (behind the TB) to get rid of the "whistle" and also make a little smoother transition from the 80mm to the 75ish mm.

The only "problem" I did have was the blade was a little large (not matched to the bore exactly) so I had to resize it with some wet/dry sandpaper (30min job) and since then it has worked perfect. I can’t say its better than a ported stock TB (never had one) but it gets the job done for me.

I have a ported stock MAF now but I plan on getting an LS6 85mm unit as soon as someone puts one up used.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

I say go with the ported TB-its cheaper than the BBK 80mm and the intake opening is only 78mm.I have the BBK and when I first got it I had some issues with having to much flow.I would just reccomend the stock ported TB!!
Old 09-11-2003, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

gmhtp just ported their TB on the 98 LS1 trans am their selves and its stated to be fiarly simple, i would pick up the latest issue and read it. i got ported ends because the SLp one really really leaned out my car and was causing serrious detonation. i would highly recommend not using that. the ported stock peices, from what i was told, on an internally stock motor will be just as good if not better than the more expensive pieces
Old 09-11-2003, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok just saw u said u were gonna do heads and cam, but if the intake is gonna be LS1 or LS6 like stated above, i would still just get ported pieces
Old 09-11-2003, 12:23 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO, the stock MAF sensor works the best, and a ported throttle body is a better choice than the BBK.