Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam/timing gear questions polluter cam questions to

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 10:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default cam/timing gear questions polluter cam questions to

I just installed the cam but have not reinstalled the cam plate timing chain oil pump and so on.

can anyone tell me how much i need to advance or retard the timing? Also how do I remove the timing gear off the crank I am replacing the entire timing chain / gear set.

Also what bolts need to be replaced? pulley bolt I know needs to but what other bolts are torque to yeild?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Call up Tick Performance and ask them what they recommend for cam timing. For the crank gear you might need a puller to get it off, maybe someone will chime in on another method. You can reuse the rest of the bolts.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i used a medium sized three jaw puller to pull my balancer. i think lots of three jaws will convert over to two jaw by removing one arm and moving another to the opposite side. i converted my three jaw over to the two jaw version and attached it behind the gear teeth around the outside of the crank gear. its not near as tough as the balancer to remove but i believe the puller is still mandatory.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We always suggest degreeing the cam during install, but it's not very practical to do while the engine is still in the car. In your case, just install it dot-to-dot without adjusting the timing at all.

To pull the timing gear off the crank, you'll need a puller.

The pulley bolt is the only bolt I'd replace. None of the rest are torque-to-yield.

Best of luck - can't wait until you fire it up!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:16 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey@TickPerf
We always suggest degreeing the cam during install, but it's not very practical to do while the engine is still in the car. In your case, just install it dot-to-dot without adjusting the timing at all.

To pull the timing gear off the crank, you'll need a puller.

The pulley bolt is the only bolt I'd replace. None of the rest are torque-to-yield.

Best of luck - can't wait until you fire it up!
What is the ICL on that cam Joey? 110?
Old 12-16-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

well the entire front end is off the car so theres a ton of space. if there is a few more hp in her by degreeing the cam please let me know how u suggest going about it.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The Kent-Moore puller for the crank sprocket can be found on flea bay for around $12. Why are you advancing the cam, why not install on the specified ICL? With the right tools you can easily degree the cam in the car. The LSx specific socket from Comp (part #4914) and the degree kit (part #4796) and dial indicator extension (part #4912) will do the job.

Here is the Kent-Moore tool attached to my puller.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

well if they suggest degreeing the cam I will take the extra time to do it if it will gain me a few hp ifit wont then I wont waste my time.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

As I recall, that is a fairly large cam and will likely greatly reduce PTV. You not only should degree the cam, but check PTV too while you have it set up with a dial indicator, etc. Otherwise, you are rolling the dice and then it depends on how lucky you are. What are your PTV values?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

At the moment I am going to cut the pistons regaurdless due to my choice in heads (5.3 heads ported and machined to 60cc combustion chambers) Does anyone know the most you can take out of a stock piston? I f I can I am debating on cutting the heads down again to make them 58 or 59 cc heads to up the compression a bit more. I have nothing but time at the moment and it is my project car and will never see dd needs just some nice wheather cruising and lots of track time. If anyone can give me some advice that would be great.