Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some help choosing some heads

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some help choosing some heads

ok so i have a cam for my 98 Formula and im trying to figure out which heads i should look at getting to maximize power out of the whole RPM range.....

http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...csid=1086&sb=2

is the website with the specs on the cam.....i am lost on how to figure out a good combo so any help would be greatly appreciated....

thanks all

~Mike
Old 01-07-2009, 07:06 PM
Teching In

ok so noone is gonna help me out with this??
Old 01-07-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You posted no goals or budget but I think any ported factory castings would wake that cam up since you don't want an all out setup. Search the dyno section and call a couple sponsors OR just do springs on your stockers (prolly my choice).
Old 01-07-2009, 10:49 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We've sold many 216/220 camshafts for cusetomers looking for a small camshaft with good low end power. I personally would look to something like the PRC Stage 2.5 5.3l heads. They're available with or without springs incase you want to stick with the springs you already own, or we can build them with the spring of your choice! This cylinder head with some extra milling should gain approx 50rwhp with this camshaft!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-08-2009, 12:40 AM
Teching In

well i was trying to figure out about what kind of money i would need to save up and whatnot....

so this is a smaller cam huh?? i have no idea how to read camspecs so i am not sure i was told it was pretty big though....i mean i got it for really cheap so im not too worried if its not that big i can always resell it and get a bigger one....

as far as goals yeah i guess i should have put something like that down...lol...i wanna build an all around good street car thats more of a weekend warrior but if needed or the urge shows up out of nowhere
i can go and drive on a nice little cruise...
Old 01-08-2009, 11:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like you would be happy with an upper 220's lower 230's cam. I really like mine and am one the few who feel like they got it right the first time.

Well mannered DD once it's warmed. I can cam through wal-mart or the mall all night and then get in a safe area, hammer it and it screams and is hard to keep it pointed straight through 1st and 2nd when I wanna cut loose a bit Track times are coming soon and I would be shocked if I don't hit 11's. Problem may be I can smoke my MT DR's from a roll on the street so a good 60' may be a challenge
Old 01-08-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude your doing it backwards! Get the best heads you can possibly afford that fit your needs, THEN select a camshaft that will go with the heads. Cams are cool but heads are where youll get your power with an aftermarket cam.
Im happy with my 5.3 heads from TSP, but what is your budget for heads?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
Sounds like you would be happy with an upper 220's lower 230's cam. I really like mine and am one the few who feel like they got it right the first time.

Well mannered DD once it's warmed. I can cam through wal-mart or the mall all night and then get in a safe area, hammer it and it screams and is hard to keep it pointed straight through 1st and 2nd when I wanna cut loose a bit Track times are coming soon and I would be shocked if I don't hit 11's. Problem may be I can smoke my MT DR's from a roll on the street so a good 60' may be a challenge
Get Hoosiers!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Dude your doing it backwards! Get the best heads you can possibly afford that fit your needs, THEN select a camshaft that will go with the heads. Cams are cool but heads are where youll get your power with an aftermarket cam.
Im happy with my 5.3 heads from TSP, but what is your budget for heads?

well i got the cam from a friend for nothing so thats y i have it....i was at the time saving for a H/C package but he tossed me the cam and said here u go....lol....so if anyone wants to buy this one im trying to get $325+shipping for it...it is brand new....im just gonna save for a tranny and rear first....

damn second gear is pissing me off...
Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ah I see, well cant fault you for that, but it is a relativly small cam, should be a fun cam to drive with any sort of heads.
I like my PRC 5.3 liter heads, but if you can afford it get AFR, TFS or try the new PRC 215 casting.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Teching In

yeah i had another member on here that was offerin up his PRC 2.5 5.3's for a really nice price but idk about getting used heads....it seems a lil iffy to me....how am i supposed to know if there is any warpage or anything like that....anything that i can visually inspect?? besides bolt them up and see??
Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

katech is selling ported 98 heads really cheap.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
Get Hoosiers!
Haha You know what I am talking about I should have bought some 15" wheels & DR's instead of just putting the MT's on my 17's......

OP: you will prollly be fine with the used 5.3's. People buy and sell them on here everyday. Just look them over carefully and you will prolly want to have them gone through with at least a new set of springs, clean up mill and lap the valves anyway. Use this as leverage to get a better deal