Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experts help why my sparkplugs look like this pics inside?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 02:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Experts help why my sparkplugs look like this pics inside?

Well here is a little info the car ia a 98 stock longblock. I recently added a ms4 cam and changed all gaskets and seals and rod bearings this is the first time I am changing the plugs in 6 months but have only drove the car for 300 miles since the transmission went out I have only been turning the car on and let it idle for 15-20min a week so here's the pics all of the plugs look almost identical I use autolite 103's 1 step colder since I will be spraying.I only drove the car untuned for 2 days than got it tuned by a sponsor here anyway let me know what you think. Thanks in advance

Old 01-31-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Idling rich. Looks like the idle tune is in question. Did the tuner tune the idle, normal driving & WOT? What's the gap?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:32 PM
9 Second Club

he did wot when dynotuned it and also street tuned it but after that we changed the injectors to 42lbs and he tuned it but not on the dyno also they are gapped at 35 or 36 is it normal for them to be one side dark and hte other white the car sounds just like a regular ms4 car id does have a hard time starting on cold weather
Old 01-31-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Junkie

My opinion is that it's idling rich. Seems as though the MAF table has not been re-calibrated. Any damage to the coolant sensor? If it's broken or if the wires are damaged, the car will think it's below freeaing & send more fuel during start-up & idle. However, it's more likely a MAF table/ idle tuning issue. If there is no problem with the coolant sensor & wiring to it, I'd call the tuner & ask him to have a look @ the MAF table & the idle tuning.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Clean th MAF, as well. It may help some. Be careful not to damage the tiny resistor wires. Use either rubbing alcohol on a q-tip (gently) or dielectric cleaner.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:34 PM
9 Second Club

is the coolant sensor on the head if it is I did break it when I did the cam swap I just glued it back thinking it will work normal but I do notice the low coolant light keeps lighting up and it is completly full and no leaks you think I just need to change it?
Old 01-31-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd start there. If it is reading incorrectly, it will cause the injectors to dump fuel as noted above. Yes, it's on the drivers' side head closest to the front of the engine. This is the engine coolant temperature sensor.

Low coolant light is a different sensor. Did you damage another sensor? I'm not sure where the low coolant sensor is on a stock GM vehicle. Mine is in the radiator. Did you run the engine w/ the heater on & the coolant overflow full? If not, there can be air pockets. Did you tie the steam vent holes on the heads together & then to the top of the radiator? If not, then for sure there are air pockets.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:42 PM
9 Second Club

I did not do any of the above so maybe about the low coolant is just air pockets bacause the car does not overheat or anything
Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say you have two issues.

1) the car is idling a bit rich. The plugs might clean up with a drive, instead of just running the engine.
2) you said the plug heat range is one colder than stock. This could also be causing you issues.

Basically, your plugs don't look bad, and I don't think this is really a problem. I would just be sure to drive the car a bit to blow that carbon out.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by assassinz28
I did not do any of the above so maybe about the low coolant is just air pockets bacause the car does not overheat or anything

Connect @ least the front head vents to the top of the radiator or top radiator hose. Otherwise, you will not get the air out & the top of the pistons will run hot (even w/ the car not overheating). Fix the coolant temp sensor of she'll keep dumping fuel. Add fluid to the system & run car w/ heater on high/hot for 5 minutes after the car reaches operating temp. Fill to top off, including overflow reservoir.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formulated
I would say you have two issues.

1) the car is idling a bit rich. The plugs might clean up with a drive, instead of just running the engine.
2) you said the plug heat range is one colder than stock. This could also be causing you issues.

Basically, your plugs don't look bad, and I don't think this is really a problem. I would just be sure to drive the car a bit to blow that carbon out.
x2.

Go out on a spirited run and get back to your place and shut it down. Then check the plugs.

With a MS4 the ****** will probably run a little rich at idle...+ the colder plugs.

I wouldn't be too concerned.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:59 PM
9 Second Club

thanks guys that makes me feel alot better I wil start driving it more since I am now getting my new trans
Old 02-01-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Junkie

^^^^

Yah, what could us guys w/ tuning software possibly know? Forget that I could sit in your garage & watch the injectors overfill the combustion chamber electronically. Go, make some spirited runs, that'll fix the broken ECT sensor. Good-luck, you're gonna need it.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1-450
^^^^

Yah, what could us guys w/ tuning software possibly know? Forget that I could sit in your garage & watch the injectors overfill the combustion chamber electronically. Go, make some spirited runs, that'll fix the broken ECT sensor. Good-luck, you're gonna need it.
He mentioned that he has done nothing but start it and let it run for 15-20min at idle a few times for the last few months (or however long).

If you don't think the plugs would be carboned up after that... well... I guess you like running lean.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:03 PM
9 Second Club

I am going to go make spirited runs after I get my trans and after I fix my Coolant Sensor and have my tune relooked at I should have mentioned that in my previous post to prevent the injectors from overfilling the chambers when I said that made me feel better is that is nothing terribly wrong with my car I really appreciate everyones input.