Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Typical LSx motor mileage before rebuild required...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 11:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Typical LSx motor mileage before rebuild required...

As a C4 Corvette owner, I'm definitely a fan of the Gen 1 SBC crowd. In my short time of working on these cars, I've seen 150-250k miles the typical average of how long a SBC should last, under average conditions. My friend's parents still have their 92 GMC Suburban with an amazing 325k miles (Yes, three hundred and twenty five thousand miles) and counting so that might be quite an accomplishment for a stock, untouched 350 as they claim! In fact, I still do remember when that car used to take us back and forth to school just about everyday...LOL! If you drive it hard, and/or cam it, I'd expect it to last roughly half those miles, 100k miles at the most before rebuild time. Or maybe more! Who knows?

So typically, how long do stock LSx motors last before they need a little refreshing? What's the highest mileage ever seen in an LSx motor from 100% stock to hot cammed? And what is the typical mileage on an LSx before a rebuild should be considered?
Old 02-02-2009, 12:07 AM
11 Second Club

There are several cars on here with over 150k miles that people cam and abuse daily. You really don't see many LSX failures unless it's operator error.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 AM
10 Second Club

I don't know a LSX car that has gone over 150K without being highly moded so your question is hard to answer. I'm sure they are out there, I just don't know anyone that has one. I would guess that a stock and not abused LS1 car would run for 250K easy maybe more.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

All depends on how the car was cared for.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I work as a claims adjuster for extended warranty and 95% of all engine failures are due to lack of fluids, overheat or sludge. Now for an engine to be just worn out that is another story but for the engine to actually fail is not very common anymore.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

My car has 120K+ on it now and if I were keeping I wouldn't hesitate to cam it and spray it!

But IMO if you maintain things they will last forever. Its when people let things go that cars start to turn into ****.
Old 02-02-2009, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

A good friend of mine has a 2000 M6 Trans Am with 235,000 miles and it still runs great. Granted he travels alot for his job so this is mostly interstate mileage but he still brings it out on Friday nights and runs people in it. As far as I know the only thing he's done to the car is change the water pump, clutch, brakes of course and the basic tune ups and oil changes. These are great running motors, I had 145,000 miles on my cammed 98 with daily abuse. I beat the **** out of that car and it never gave me any issues. These are built very well, I'd put it up against my Grandfathers Honda anyday. lol
Old 02-02-2009, 01:00 PM
On The Tree

Maybe that is one of the reasons why the import crowd likes to bash us. Maybe lower class people buy domestic cars and in turn, can't afford the costs and suddenly there goes the American brand reputation. Or maybe high class people buy imports and can spend the money for proper maintenance, and therefore better reliability. My take is that you make a car what it is. If you are neglectful on maintenance, you are more than likely to break down no matter what you own...
Old 02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my 4.8 ls truck has 280+k miles, doesnt have piston slap, does not burn oil or coolant, drips nothing. still on original, trans, wp, fp,alt.
i take care of it, maintenace wise, has pulled boats, donuts in the mud, street raced and beat lt1 cars and mustangs.
seen 150 shot of spray many times.
only mods are cai, and msd wires. not even a tune or anyhting else
Old 02-02-2009, 04:26 PM
HWI
TECH Enthusiast

It wasn't an LSx, but I put 200,000 miles on the LT1 Trans Am I previously owned before I sold it and the only thing I had to do was replace the water pump and distributor. It still ran strong when I sold it.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NemeSS
my 4.8 ls truck has 280+k miles, doesnt have piston slap, does not burn oil or coolant, drips nothing. still on original, trans, wp, fp,alt.
i take care of it, maintenace wise, has pulled boats, donuts in the mud, street raced and beat lt1 cars and mustangs.
seen 150 shot of spray many times.
only mods are cai, and msd wires. not even a tune or anyhting else
How long have you owned it? Are you the original owner or did you buy your truck used? That is very impressive! I'm really diggin the Gen 3 motors now!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:00 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pdbq
So typically, how long do stock LSx motors last before they need a little refreshing? What's the highest mileage ever seen in an LSx motor from 100% stock to hot cammed? And what is the typical mileage on an LSx before a rebuild should be considered?
Depends on who built it. My 427ci is going on 100,000 miles and it still runs like day one. 492 RWHP and I beat the pee out of it on the street every day, its my only car.
My friends father has an old LS1 434ci built by Agostino in Toronto that has well over 100,000 miles and its still a beast. Also, a very old maybe 90,000 engine built by a local shop that is running like new, an iron 422ci with a 150 dry shot.

I know of quite a few stock LSx's that are up to 150,000 miles and more.

So, its all about the builder. Alot of "built" LSx engines only last 40,000 till they're junk.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Alot of "built" LSx engines only last 40,000 till they're junk.
Is that because the parts used are of cheap quality, or would it be assembler error, i.e. inconsistent bearing tolerances, distorted bores, inadequate use of assembly lube, premature break in?

Of course I'm also gonna have very high expectations (reliability, quality, power) for the new 6 liter that I'm gonna be putting in my Corvette. I also expect it to last for at least 100k because I know I'm gonna be on top of maintenance.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My friend and i just rebuilt his motor in his 99z because it had a head gasket starting to leak some coolant in the oil. It had 240,000 miles on it. He had a bbk intake and throttle body, long tube headers, custom tune, and a air lid. still ran damn good when we tore it apart. the bearings definatly were showing some wear on them, but nothing that would suggest that they would fail soon.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Teching In

I had a 99 GMC Sierra (2nd owner) with 133k miles on the 5.3L before I got rid of it and it had ABSOLUTELY no issues. I don't see any reason for it to not make it to 300k.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

My friends dad has a 99 silverado i believe and it has over 300,000 on it with no problems at all. When they drive it they beat the CRAP out of that thing every where they go. Its all in the maintnance
Old 02-02-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

105K here and it runs like new.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by pdbq
Is that because the parts used are of cheap quality, or would it be assembler error, i.e. inconsistent bearing tolerances, distorted bores, inadequate use of assembly lube, premature break in?

Of course I'm also gonna have very high expectations (reliability, quality, power) for the new 6 liter that I'm gonna be putting in my Corvette. I also expect it to last for at least 100k because I know I'm gonna be on top of maintenance.
Parts are parts, "the engine builder" is responsible for building an engine properly so it will last and have little to no issues. I take normal care of my engine, nothing special at all and its got almost 100,000 miles, and there's absolutely NO signs of problems at all. It was put together perfectly. The way its running now, I see it getting another 100,000, no reason it shouldn't. BUt it'll be yanked soon to make way for the new monster engine.

Reliability, quality and power is what you should get if built properly.

Did you buy the engine block yet, or anything yet?

Who will be building it?
Old 02-02-2009, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS6427
Parts are parts, "the engine builder" is responsible for building an engine properly so it will last and have little to no issues. I take normal care of my engine, nothing special at all and its got almost 100,000 miles, and there's absolutely NO signs of problems at all. It was put together perfectly. The way its running now, I see it getting another 100,000, no reason it shouldn't. BUt it'll be yanked soon to make way for the new monster engine.

Reliability, quality and power is what you should get if built properly.

Did you buy the engine block yet, or anything yet?

Who will be building it?
I bought a 6.0L LQ4 long block assembly from a friend of mine. We're gonna be using .030 flat top forged pistons from Diamond pistons. That same friend has built and rebuilt LSx motors with reportedly great success as I've witnessed. I've already ordered pretty much all the parts that are going to be used in the rebuild from the bottom up. Crank was cleaned and polished from the machine shop, who has also cleaned up and bore the block out. I even got some TSP CNC ported 243 heads that he decided not to use on the motor that he was planning on building for himself. We just hope this motor that we are going to be rebuilding and putting in my Vette will give me many years of fun, as well as reliable service. Of course, the heart of the beast will be an MS3 cam. The intake of choice will be likely an LS6 intake, or Typhoon intake from Professional Products if the budget allows.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

9 years ago my brother bought his first vehicle, a used 94 S10 4wd with the 4.3 and 4L60E , 207,000 miles on her, all original. As every teen does, he ran the **** out that truck. That thing has done countless burnouts, use to see redline on a daily occasion, been whooped on offroad for years. Carried him through 4 yrs of college, back and forth to work and currently has 394,600 miles. Still all original !!!(knock on wood) I'm not sure how.

Getting back to the Gen III's. My uncle has a 00 Tahoe, that he bought new.... has 220,000 miles, and has never been touched. Not even a tuneup!!! haha Yes I have done regular maintenance, except plugs/wires. Still idles silky smooth. It's to the point now where I don't think the plugs will come out of the aluminum head lol.

Quick Reply: Typical LSx motor mileage before rebuild required...